Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 31 May '08 09:39
    An old one from BCM in the 60's.

    What is it that the Queen cannot do but every
    other piece on the chessboard (including pawns) can?

    Not a joke question - this is a fact.
  2. 31 May '08 09:57
    Be one square away from the opposing king and not give check?
  3. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    31 May '08 10:01
    I already PMed GP with that answer - but its not really correct cos the King cannot do that either.

    Everything I think of that the Q cannot do the King cannot do also.

  4. 31 May '08 10:02
    Be traded for more valuable material. (Although, as I write this, I think it must be wrong, because the king is the most valuable.)
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    31 May '08 11:15 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    An old one from BCM in the 60's.

    What is it that the Queen cannot do but every
    other piece on the chessboard (including pawns) can?

    Not a joke question - this is a fact.
    I have an answer ...

    The Queen cannot be moved to cause discovered check. All other pieces can!

  6. 31 May '08 11:53 / 1 edit
    Why the 6th and 8th ranks?

    But you are close enough.

    Answer:
    The Queen is the only piece that cannot be the moving piece
    when you give a discovered check.

    Think about it - the opposing King would be in check.

    Edit 1 - correct - posted just before I gave the answer.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    01 Jun '08 16:55
    Originally posted by Gastel
    Be traded for more valuable material. (Although, as I write this, I think it must be wrong, because the king is the most valuable.)
    Kings cannot be captured.
  8. 01 Jun '08 17:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Kings cannot be captured.
    This is about queens, not kings.
  9. 01 Jun '08 17:53
    Originally posted by golfer1
    This is about queens, not kings.
    This is about reading, not randomly interjecting.
  10. 01 Jun '08 21:36
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Kings cannot be captured.
    And hence are the most valuable. If the a situation even exists where you are going to lose your king, you lose the game.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    02 Jun '08 00:28
    Originally posted by Gastel
    And hence are the most valuable. If the a situation even exists where you are going to lose your king, you lose the game.
    If the King cannot be captured, how do you trade for it?
  12. 02 Jun '08 01:40
    You don't, it is too valuable to trade. I would give you any piece of mine on the board for your king. That's the goal of chess.
  13. Standard member eldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    06 Jun '08 22:49 / 1 edit
    this is a valuable discussion.
  14. Standard member thyme
    Undutchable
    14 Jun '08 11:36 / 1 edit
    Very valuable. There are two correct answers.
  15. 14 Jun '08 14:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If the King cannot be captured, how do you trade for it?
    One could argue that checkmate is the inevitable capture of the king on the next move.

    Of course, typically a trade is done by one traded piece capturing the other only to be recaptured, and this is impossible between the king and enemy queen. The king cannot remain in check, and if the queen is protected, then the king cannot capture her.

    If what is meant by trading a queen for a king is allowing her capture in order to checkmate, then that is better described as a sacrifice..