Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    07 Nov '06 18:406 edits


    This is a nice puzzle. White to mate in three. Took me a long time to figure this out.
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    4532
    07 Nov '06 18:461 edit
    It can't be whites move in that position.

    Edit: Grrr! Trying to make me look stupid. 😉
  3. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    07 Nov '06 18:47
    Look again, I had some problems inserting FEN
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    10525
    07 Nov '06 18:481 edit
    I see 2 first moves....

    Edit: didnt see the edit
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    07 Nov '06 20:14
    A nice one, indeed.
  6. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    07 Nov '06 20:17
    Solved it?
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    07 Nov '06 20:27
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Solved it?
    ya...the king has some work to do
  8. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124084
    07 Nov '06 21:10
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    [fen]8/8/8/8/2p2p2/K1p1N3/6Q1/4k3 w - - 0 1[/fen]

    This is a nice puzzle. White to mate in three. Took me a long time to figure this out.
    1.Kb4! (zugzwang)

    1...c2 2.Qf1+ Kd2 3.Nxc4#
    1...fxe3 2.Kxc3 e2 [2...Kd1 3.Qf1#] 3.Qg1#
    1...f3 2.Qc2 f2 3.Qd1#
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    07 Nov '06 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    [b]1.Kb4! (zugzwang)

    1...c2 2.Qf1+ Kd2 3.Nxc4#
    1...fxe3 2.Kxc3 e2 [2...Kd1 3.Qf1#] 3.Qg1#
    1...f3 2.Qc2 f2 3.Qd1#[/b]
    😀
  10. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    4532
    07 Nov '06 21:37
    Originally posted by uzless
    easier way...

    King b2, then c1, then Knight c2...checkmate!

    other moves by black are irrelevant
    Kb2? That would be moving into check.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    07 Nov '06 21:38
    Originally posted by Ian68
    Kb2? That would be moving into check.
    ya saw that...thought the black pawns were moving forward for a sec
  12. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    08 Nov '06 20:40
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    [b]1.Kb4! (zugzwang)

    1...c2 2.Qf1+ Kd2 3.Nxc4#
    1...fxe3 2.Kxc3 e2 [2...Kd1 3.Qf1#] 3.Qg1#
    1...f3 2.Qc2 f2 3.Qd1#[/b]
    Nice. Kb4!! is the exact move. For me this puzzle took a long time. I'm not good at finding these quiet moves like Kb4.
  13. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124084
    08 Nov '06 21:40
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Nice. Kb4!! is the exact move. For me this puzzle took a long time. I'm not good at finding these quiet moves like Kb4.
    Most composed problems do not start with a checking key, for checks are generally obvious moves.

    Solving these types of problems will improve your ability to find quiet, subtle moves.
  14. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    09 Nov '06 18:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Most composed problems do not start with a checking key, for checks are generally obvious moves.

    Solving these types of problems will improve your ability to find quiet, subtle moves.
    Yeah, that's why I like these kind of puzzles.
Back to Top