1. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    29 Mar '05 08:301 edit
  2. Standard membertheangrystudent
    I am MIGHTY!
    The CITY
    Joined
    11 Mar '05
    Moves
    14245
    30 Mar '05 01:32
    Maybe I'm just realy bad at these, but I think I see a winning line for black no matter what white does.
  3. Berks.
    Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    41991
    30 Mar '05 17:21
    I was having a look at it last night without much solving it either.

    A couple of thoughts I had were:

    As stalemate doesn't look an option, white must play Ng4 threatening mate or promotion with check at some point - as soon as black gets to play f1=Q someone has to win.

    Bishop move looks unlikely too, I can't see a threat.

    So that leaves either f7+ or fxh7. I'm leaning towards the latter as the first move, I've had a look at a few lines yet not manage to conclusively show either way as being correct (but did get to see possibilities if black plays both badly).
  4. Standard membertheangrystudent
    I am MIGHTY!
    The CITY
    Joined
    11 Mar '05
    Moves
    14245
    30 Mar '05 22:38
    Originally posted by Peakite
    I was having a look at it last night without much solving it either.

    A couple of thoughts I had were:

    As stalemate doesn't look an option, white must play Ng4 threatening mate or promotion with check at some point - as soon as black gets to play f1=Q someone has to win.

    Bishop move looks unlikely too, I can't see a threat.

    So that leaves either ...[text shortened]... show either way as being correct (but did get to see possibilities if black plays both badly).
    if 1. g7+, Nxg7 and white quickly runs out of threats.

    if 1. gxh7, Kxh7
    2. g6+, Kg8 and white quickly runs out of threats.

    And I grant that if black played badly enough, this game would end in a draw or possible defeat (if they do something really dumb). But GOOD chess puzzles are designed so that everything is forced after the first move. Not forced as in the other side only has one option to reply with, but forced as in there is a response to every possible move that the opposition could make.
  5. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116791
    30 Mar '05 22:48
    Is the diagram correct, THUDandBLUNDER?
  6. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    30 Mar '05 23:152 edits
    Originally posted by theangrystudent
    But GOOD chess puzzles are.......
    ...ones where BigDogg asks if the diagram is correct.
    (Yes, it is.)
  7. Standard membertheangrystudent
    I am MIGHTY!
    The CITY
    Joined
    11 Mar '05
    Moves
    14245
    30 Mar '05 23:35
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    [fen]5B1k/7p/6P1/4NnP1/8/8/K4p2/8 [/fen]
    Then feel free to blow my mind with the mystery solution at an time.
  8. Berks.
    Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    41991
    31 Mar '05 00:02
    Originally posted by theangrystudent
    if 1. g7+, Nxg7 and white quickly runs out of threats.

    if 1. gxh7, Kxh7
    2. g6+, Kg8 and white quickly runs out of threats.

    And I grant that if black played badly enough, this game would end in a draw or possible defeat (if they do something really dumb). But GOOD chess puzzles are designed so that everything is forced after the first mo ...[text shortened]... but forced as in there is a response to every possible move that the opposition could make.
    As I said, couldn't identify either way.

    Another think and Ba3, intending to move onto b2 could be something - setting up a potential double check, but I still think black can avoid it.
  9. Standard membertheangrystudent
    I am MIGHTY!
    The CITY
    Joined
    11 Mar '05
    Moves
    14245
    31 Mar '05 00:19
    1. B-a3, f1 and black gets a queen
    2. B-b2, Qa6+
    3. K-(b1 or b-3), gxh

    The knight and bishop alone are unable to mate the king, the black queen is protecting black's last pawn, the black pawn is preventing the white pawn from doing anything... so white just moves his king along the white squares and it should be an easy victory from there.
  10. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    31 Mar '05 00:302 edits
    Originally posted by theangrystudent
    ....and it should be an easy victory from there.
    Possibly, but from your 'analysis' it is not clear for whom. 🙄
  11. Standard membertheangrystudent
    I am MIGHTY!
    The CITY
    Joined
    11 Mar '05
    Moves
    14245
    31 Mar '05 00:321 edit
    It should be an easy victory for black if white starts with 1. B-a3

    Black moving his king along the white squares was just a comment on how to deal with possible checks from white.
  12. Berks.
    Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    41991
    31 Mar '05 00:331 edit
    Qa6+ is no good anyway, can just move Kb1 - black can't do anything until he makes an attempt to bring the knight into play.
  13. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    22
    31 Mar '05 02:38
    Originally posted by theangrystudent
    Black moving his king along the white squares was just a comment on how to deal with possible checks from white.
    The Black king ain't going anywhere!
  14. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116791
    31 Mar '05 04:16
    [fen]5B1k/7p/6P1/4NnP1/8/8/K4p2/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    1.g7+!
    If 1...Kg8 2.Ng4 threatens Nf6+ and Nxf2, so...
    1...Nxg7 2.Nf7+! Kg8 3.Bc5!
    Threatens Bxf2 and Nh6+/Nf7+ perpetual check
    3...f1Q 4.Nh6+ Kg8 5.Bd4!!

    ...and Black can make absolutely no progress. His King is stuck in the corner, his Knight is pinned, he can't win the white Bishop with checks, and he can't play ...Qxg5+ due to Nf7+.
    DRAW
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    31 Mar '05 07:34
    Am I missing something or does 5. ... Qc4+ win the bishop?
Back to Top