1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 10:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Only 'pretty much'?
    I thought *every* movement starting with a accelleration is driven by the Newtons action-reaction thing?
    Is there any other form?
    Probably not, but I was just trying to avoid someone jumping in with "WRONG!! In this case, blah blah...". So I left in my get out clause 🙂
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 10:16
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Probably not, but I was just trying to avoid someone jumping in with "WRONG!! In this case, blah blah...". So I left in my get out clause 🙂
    Oh, I see. Smart move! 🙂

But either way:
    Is there any way to induce movement to an object other than using the Newtonian action/reaction method?
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 11:29
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oh, I see. Smart move! 🙂

But either way:
    Is there any way to induce movement to an object other than using the Newtonian action/reaction method?
    The universe is a closed system and therefore any force created within it must be counteracted by a force equal and opposite also created. Therefore it is impossible to create a force without an equal force acting somewhere else.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 12:19
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    The plane is held on the ground by gravity.
    Lift will overcome the force of gravity and allow the plane to fly.
    Lift is created by relative motion between the wing surface and air.

In the treadmill example there is no relative motion between the wing and the air, so there is no lift.
    Without lift, gravity wins.
    After further thought on this, I believe the treadmill is irrelevant.

The plane engine will move the plane through the air and create lift as the plane is thrust forward. The treadmill will not prevent the plane from moving forward as long as the engine is creating thrust.

The wheels only allow the plane to roll more easily but they do not move the plane, as has already been pointed out. They will be caused to roll much faster than normal because the treadmill is moving in the opposite direction.

So in conclusion the plane will still fly once it develops enough lift, and the runway surface is irrelevant.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 14:29
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The universe is a closed system and therefore any force created within it must be counteracted by a force equal and opposite also created. Therefore it is impossible to create a force without an equal force acting somewhere else.
    I'm probably making a fool of myself, but what about gravity? Is it counteracted by anything?
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 14:411 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'm probably making a fool of myself, but what about gravity? Is it counteracted by anything?
    The Earth pulls you, you pull the Earth back by an equal force.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 15:09
    The Earth pulls you, you pull the Earth back by an equal force.
    Can you please explain how it is 'equal and opposite'?
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 20:03
    Lift counteracts the force of gravity. It is generated by air moving over and under the wing.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 21:05
    Yes. The short answer is that the Earth is more massive, so the force affects it less than it affects a person for example, though the force is equal in both directions.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 21:26
    Newton's third law is that when one body exerts a force on another, the second body exerts a force on the first of the same magnitude, but in the opposite direction ('equal and opposite'😉.

With gravity, two bodies attract each other. The Earth pulls you towards it, but you pull the Earth towards you with exactly the same force.

Because the Earth is rather big, the force you apply on it doesn't have much of an effect.

Does that help?
  11. Joined
    13 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 21:41
    Newton's third law is that when one body exerts a force on another, the second body exerts a force on the first of the same magnitude, but in the opposite direction ('equal and opposite'😉.

With gravity, two bodies attract each other. The Earth pulls you towards it, but you pull the Earth towards you with exactly the same force.

Because the Earth is rather big, the force you apply on it doesn't have much of an effect.

Does that help?
    relative to mass.

I think if that was inserted anywhere in the last few posts then people wouldn't make the mistake if thinking you think that a human body can exert the exact same force as a bloody planet.
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 22:361 edit
    Originally posted by KingsBishop
    relative to mass.

I think if that was inserted anywhere in the last few posts then people wouldn't make the mistake if thinking you think that a human body can exert the exact same force as a bloody planet.
    That's the point! A human exerts the same force on a bloody planet as a bloody planet exerts on a human! The gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses.

Or |F| = GmM/r^2, if you want a formula.
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 00:27
    Originally posted by KingsBishop
    relative to mass.

But the force is the same. The effect is different (thanks to F=ma) but the actual force is the same.
  14. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '06 04:37
    The plane will overcome gravity if it has an airspeed great enough to produce lift greater than the force of gravity. With a Cessna 172s, that is approximately 65 knots. Airspeed is different from ground speed, you need to factor head wind or tail wind.

Before the treadmill starts, I assume the plane is at rest with 0 wind. When the treadmill does start, inertia will cause the plane to lag behind, and then start backwards with the treadmill, due to friction. If you then start the propeller, the plane will start forward and will handle as if there is a tail wind until the airspeed of zero is reached. At that point the plane will be stationary in space, but wheels will be rolling with the treadmill.

The wheels on the plane can be rolling as fast as the treadmill, but that will not cause the plane to go backwards, because the plane has forward thrust thru the air. That is all that matters for lift off. Full throttle, elevator up, slight right rudder, off you go.
  15. Standard memberGalaKev
    Borderer
    Scotland
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 22:262 edits
    Originally posted by mlprior
    The wheels on the plane can be rolling as fast as the treadmill, but that will not cause the plane to go backwards, because the plane has forward thrust thru the air. That is all that matters for lift off. Full throttle, elevator up, slight right rudder, off you go.[/b]
    And where is the airspeed coming from, you would be stationary at this stage. Therfore assumming no wind, you air speed will be 0kts.

0kts = no lift.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree