1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '10 12:13
    Originally posted by jasperdash
    if a man has a boat, and one board is rotten, so he replaces it. if eventually, one by one, all the boards have been replaced so there is not one original part. is it a new boat? and if so, when dd it stop being his old boat and start being his new boat?

no one has ever answered this in the history of the world. its impossible. so dont feel bad when you cant figure it out. 😏
    buy a fiberglass hulled boat,simples
  2. Joined
    11 Jun '10
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 23:03
    What about trigger on only fools and horses who had the same broom for 20 years. it just had 17 new heads and 14 new handles.😀
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '10 22:27
    Well, I met the guy who has the original hatchet George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree....

Only since then it's had 5 new handles and 6 new heads.

He swears it's the original hatchet, however, and I have sympathy with his point of view. The hatchet (or boat) is more than the sum of its physical parts.
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '10
    Moves
    30 Dec '10 15:13
    A boat, a car, a house, whatever, can only be new once, try doing it with a car, cannot be done.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Dec '10 21:39
    No it is not a new boat. It is simply a boat with a percentage of renewal (which all boats posess) which happens, in this case, to be 100.
    It is still the same boat.
    Ask anyone with an interest in the boat, like insurance company, for instance.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 17:13
    Originally posted by venda
    Ask anyone with an interest in the boat, like insurance company, for instance.
    Insurance companies never have the slightest interest in your boat, or your house. They are, however, very interested in your bank account. As money is fungible, the problem in question never applies to any insurance company.

Richard
  7. .
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 03:191 edit
    Originally posted by camilli
    Well, I met the guy who has the original hatchet George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree....

Only since then it's had 5 new handles and 6 new heads.
    Funnily enough we used the exact same logic when building a computer system for administering postmix bar systems in the early 90's. The analogy at the time was same axe, but it is the 2nd head and 5th handle. In a bar postmix system (ie the nozzle behind the counter/bar that dispenses soft/fizzy drinks) you could potentially change every single part and it is still considered the same postmix system - just like the boat.

When applied to people I disagree with the 'soul' aspect (can we prove it exists or disprove it doesn't?) - I prefer to think the 'personality' defines the person.
  8. Joined
    13 Jan '11
    Moves
    19 Jan '11 21:24
    ill just say the boat is my boat.
    not my new boat or my old boat
  9. Joined
    31 Jul '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '11 19:521 edit
    If you made a second "boat" from all the broken and rotten original pieces, what you would have made is a zombie boat, and if zombie movies have taught us anything it's that, no matter how much she meant to you in life, once Mary is a zombie she is no longer Mary and you have to shoot her in the head with a shotgun.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '11
    Moves
    30 Jan '11 18:49
    I can answer it but I might answer it wrong...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree