1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 22:00
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Tiger, I don't think your answer works. Can you explain further?
    I say: "Please point to a door that you could have pointed to yesterday if I had come along and asked you to point to a door that led to heaven"

Truth teller thinks => "Well, yesterday I could have only pointed to the heaven door in answer to that question, so now I shall indicate that"
    He points to the heaven door.

Liar Thinks => "Well, yesterday I would have lied and could have pointed to any of the non-heaven doors, but now I must lie about that, I shall indicate the heaven door as that is the only door I couldn't have pointed to yesterday".
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 23:03
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I say: "Please point to a door that you could have pointed to yesterday if I had come along and asked you to point to a door that led to heaven"

Truth teller thinks => "Well, yesterday I could have only pointed to the heaven door in answer to that question, so now I shall indicate that"

Liar Thinks => "Well, yester ...[text shortened]... as that is the only door I couldn't have pointed to yesterday".
    Got it. Thanks.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 05:44
    Ah - so by "Brother" you mean "Someone opposite to yourself"? That would indeed work. Congratulations!

The way I have seen problems like this phrased is 'There are identical twin brothers who
    are alike in every way except in one respect: one always tells the truth, and the other
    always lies.'

This is what I was thinking.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 05:44

Liar Thinks => "Well, yester ...[text shortened]... as that is the only door I couldn't have pointed to yesterday".
    It's the same manner of negation, just a different medium.
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 21:39
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    [b]Ah - so by "Brother" you mean "Someone opposite to yourself"? That would indeed work. Congratulations!

The way I have seen problems like this phrased is 'There are identical twin brothers who
    are alike in every way except in one respect: one always tells the truth, and the other
    always lies.'

This is what I was thinking.[/b]
    Yes- but i was just pointing out that the problem is equally solvable if you have just one person to ask, who speaks a different language to you, and there are infinite number of doors. It is amazing how easy the classic version of the problem makes it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 04:25
    Originally posted by bloodyboy
    i heard this in 5th grade and now in 9th is still dont know the answer so can you tell me. ok here it is... two guys are in a room wearing the same thing, one lies the other tells the truth. there are also two doors and one leds to heaven and the other to heck. you want to know which leds to heaven. you CAN ONLY ASK ONE question to ask both the people to find out which is heaven or heck, what is the question? and i dont know the answer.
    for pete's sake! just ask them which door leads to heaven! it's that simple!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree