1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Apr '22 05:30
    While this sounds like a joke, real math and science was applied to find out how many lions it would take to defeat the Sun.

Enjoy.

YouTube : 1 Trillion Lions vs. Sun
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '22 08:19
    https://what-if.xkcd.com/151/
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Apr '22 08:22
    @Shallow-Blue
    great link!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '22 17:283 edits
    @Ponderable
    Then the next question is just where do you get 10^38Kg of lions?๐Ÿ™‚
    So, we want to destroy a star, maybe like our sun, but someone ELSE'S star๐Ÿ™‚
    How about a ten million Km wide parabolic mirror with the distance calibrated to have the focal length of the distance between the mirror and the sun.
    Then you would be focusing say an amount of energy of about half the star's light back directly into the surface of that star.
    I wonder what THAT would do to the star.

Since our sun cranks out about 4X10^26 joules/second, something like 2x10^26 joule/seconds of energy focused to a spot as small as possible and with a mirror that large I would expect the energy to be say one square millimeter focused.

My guess is new fusion products would be produced and that would directly compete with the energy produced by said star.

So the builders designed the mirror to be able to change the focal point, make it gradually go deeper and deeper into the sun, maybe a fusion tunnel could be formed going deeper and deeper till it penetrates to the core.
    Now there is all that energy focused inside the core and it goes nova๐Ÿ™‚

Such a mirror could also be used to be able to move the focal point around like modern TV dish reflectors which aims to keep the microwave field free from the support arm of the detector electronics, so the same shapes could be used to move that point around to find an enemy planet in that system which could work in two ways, the direct focus of 2x10^26 joule seconds on the surface of the attacked planet or moving it to just block all light from that star to the so the enemy planet will be all of a sudden deprived of solar energy, thus freezing instead of blowing up.
    See, that would be a lot harder for the enemy to destroy since it is larger than the sun as opposed to a sunlight blocking disk say 30K km wide which would have to be within a few hundred thousand miles from the planet or less thus more amenable to destruction by the no doubt advanced civilization there...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree