1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 06:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But there are exceptions. There are a number of species which have changed little over the millenia.

Human beings are now in a different stage of evolution whose patterns are unknown.
    That's why I wrote "(with some eceptions)". The shark is one example, the ant is another. (And we're not talking about millennia, but millions of years.) These species is quite stable in its evolution. They cannot evolve further. Neither sharks nor ants can ever evolve individual intellignece, they cannot ever enter technology phase, as primates did.

Man on the other hand, a specie that evolved from it's previous stage for a million of years ago (?) and got into our intellectual stage for 50 thousand of years ago (?). We are quite adaptable, which is our strength.

If man had been evolutionary stable as sharks, then we wouldn't get anyware evolutionary. We wouldn't sit here and discuss this over the internet, whale making a move of chess now and then.
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 07:26
    In 10,000,000 years the Andromeda galaxy will collide with our Milky Way galaxy. It is 40 times larger than our galaxy so one humdred million years is probably a moot point.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 07:29
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ... whale making a move of chess now and then.
    🙂
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 08:15
    Originally posted by caissad4
    In 10,000,000 years the Andromeda galaxy will collide with our Milky Way galaxy. It is 40 times larger than our galaxy so one humdred million years is probably a moot point.
    Not 10 million of years, is it?
    Not 40 times larger, is it?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 08:17
    ... whale making a move of chess now and then.

Originally posted by Nordlys
    🙂
    In 100 millions of years, even the whiles can play chess! 🙂
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 10:37
    In 100 millions of years, even the whiles can play chess! 🙂
    Did you not know that whales are sore losers?
    -if you beat one at a game of chess it would instantly express itself by regurgitating tons of partly digested squid onto your chess board making chess tournaments pretty messy.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 11:05
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Did you not know that whales are sore losers?
    -if you beat one at a game of chess it would instantly express itself by regurgitating tons of partly digested squid onto your chess board making chess tournaments pretty messy.
    Slander. 😠
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 13:351 edit
    I think you misplaced a few decimal points. Not 10 million years, more like 5 BILLION years. Anyway even if it hits tomorrow, there would be not much noticeable effect on our solar system, it's mainly a fight between giant gas clouds. As for the size, its maybe twice the size of our galaxy, not 40X.
  9. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 04:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think you misplaced a few decimal points. Not 10 million years, more like 5 BILLION years. Anyway even if it hits tomorrow, there would be not much noticeable effect on our solar system, it's mainly a fight between giant gas clouds. As for the size, its maybe twice the size of our galaxy, not 40X.
    I was quoting a science show on PBS which is produced by scientists.
    You should watch Nova.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 04:25
    You should watch Nova.
    Still gravely wrong. I have higher confidence in Nova than that.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '08 21:14
    You should watch Nova.
    Any scientist on Nova would never say Andromeda is 40X bigger than our galaxy, nor is it on a course to intersect ours in a few million years. You should get your ears cleaned out before you attribute statements like that to Nova. Think about it. Andromeda is about 2 million light years from the Milky Way. So if it was going to collide with us in 10 million years it would be charging at us at fully 20 percent of the speed of light. Now if you can, try to imagine the amount of energy it would take to get a whole galaxy, one that you claim is 40 times bigger than the milky way, which has over a billion stars in it, where did the energy come from that would make it go that fast? If so, the whole thing would be shifted to the blue because it would be crashing into us at relativistic velocity. You really should think things through before you just spout what you THINK you heard on Nova.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 09:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Any scientist on Nova would never say Andromeda is 40X bigger than our galaxy, nor is it on a course to intersect ours in a few million years. You should get your ears cleaned out before you attribute statements like that to Nova. Think about it. Andromeda is about 2 million light years from the Milky Way. So if it was going to collide with us in 10 million ...[text shortened]... . You really should think things through before you just spout what you THINK you heard on Nova.
    Let's aproach this misunderstanding in another way.

Let's suppose Andromeda galaxy is 40x larger than our galaxy. Our galax, that we call 'the Milky Way', is 100 000 light years across. Then Andromeda would be like 4 000 000 light years across, right? So from the center of Milky way to the center of Andromeda galaxy is 2 500 000 lightyears away from eachother. What does this mean? That the outer rim of our two galaxies has already started to collide.

Has it? No, of course not.

Does Nova know this? Yes, of course.
    Does Nova give this horrific desinformation to its viewers and still earn its reputation? No, of course not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree