Moves
    27 Sep '08 20:44
    http://www.physorg.com/news141637556.html
  2. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 02:36
    so he is said we will be extinct by that time?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 04:26
    Originally posted by O Artem O
    so he is said we will be extinct by that time?
    The human species as we know it today is of course gone long ago 100 million years from now.
    We may have evolved to something more, or we are extinct.

Think back 100 million years - did even mammals live then? So a specie, any specie (with some eceptions) is not stable enough to survive 100 million of years.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 05:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The human species as we know it today is of course gone long ago 100 million years from now.
    We may have evolved to something more, or we are extinct.

Think back 100 million years - did even mammals live then? So a specie, any specie (with some eceptions) is not stable enough to survive 100 million of years.
    Actually, mammals predated dino's, but were very small sized, like voles and such. We Mam's got our break when they survived and Dino didn't.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 05:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Actually, mammals predated dino's, but were very small sized, like voles and such. We Mam's got our break when they survived and Dino didn't.
    Yes, you're right. They weren't very prominent then, though.

But I make the comparison - if evolution is linear (which it isn't) then the difference between the small rodentlike mammals fom the year 100 million BC and the todays human should be the same as the modern man and the man of the year AD 100 million. I don't think we will be much alike. We can always speculate what a Fabian in this far future will look like.
    Moreover, it's not linear, it's expotential (my hypothesis) so what will happen with the human evolution during this period of time would be far higher than until now.

Or not. The history of life on Earth is marked by mass extinsions. But life will always survive any catastroph. (Has until now, anyway.) But Homo Sapiens might not.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 07:10
    Yes, you're right. They weren't very prominent then, though.

But I make the comparison - if evolution is linear (which it isn't) then the difference between the small rodentlike mammals fom the year 100 million BC and the todays human should be the same as the modern man and the man of the year AD 100 million. I don't think we will be much alike. We ca ...[text shortened]... e will always survive any catastroph. (Has until now, anyway.) But Homo Sapiens might not.
    100 million years is enough time for the continents to crash into each other again. I don't think I am going out on a limb to make a prediction humans won't be around to see that happen. If we keep our technical civilization going for another thousand years without some climate or nuclear disaster, we have a chance to get the hell off this hell hole planet and spread out like seeds throughout at least the nearest stars and so have a couple three places where humans live in entirely new solar systems that will hopefully increase the odds of mankind surviving the next million years. Then we can work on the next 99.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 08:57
    100 million years is enough time for the continents to crash into each other again. I don't think I am going out on a limb to make a prediction humans won't be around to see that happen. If we keep our technical civilization going for another thousand years without some climate or nuclear disaster, we have a chance to get the hell off this hell hole planet ...[text shortened]... ncrease the odds of mankind surviving the next million years. Then we can work on the next 99.
    You're thinking big, and I like that!

If I ask a rodent from 100 million of years ago: "Do you think you will still be on Earth 100 million years from now?", he would answer: "Yes, we will, because we will be the future's masters of the Earth!"

He would be right that he is still here in his future, in our today, but not as a rodent, but to a highly evolved primate.

So if I'm asked by someone today: "Do you think you will still be on Earth 100 million years from now?", I would answer: "Yes, we will, because we will be the future's masters of the Universe!"

I might be right that we will still be here in his future, but I surely wouldn't call me a primate anymore. I would have evolved to something unimaginable higher than today.

Or not. Perhaps we have killed ourselves, or devoluted back to rodents, or whatever.

But anyway, evolution is working on man too.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 10:451 edit
    You're thinking big, and I like that!

If I ask a rodent from 100 million of years ago: "Do you think you will still be on Earth 100 million years from now?", he would answer: "Yes, we will, because we will be the future's masters of the Earth!"

He would be right that he is still here in his future, in our today, but not as a rodent, but to a highly luted back to rodents, or whatever.

But anyway, evolution is working on man too.
    Yep, evolution isn't stopping with humans. There HAS to be something better than us, ehπŸ™‚
    I think maybe if we keep up our present rate of scientific progress, way before 100 mil comes around, we might have the ability to completely punch out of this universe and find a nice calm one that will last for trillions of yearsπŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberO Artem O
    ParTizan
    Philadelphia, USA
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 13:29
    i think that even if we create all the technological improvements(i think we will) we need to live in space and we will not need earth so of us will move on , but some people will not want to got and will will stay on earth till its end. and i guaranty a good amount of people will stay unless we do have some nuclear disaster something big like that.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 18:19
    i think that even if we create all the technological improvements(i think we will) we need to live in space and we will not need earth so of us will move on , but some people will not want to got and will will stay on earth till its end. and i guaranty a good amount of people will stay unless we do have some nuclear disaster something big like that.
    That is as it should be. Of course not everyone wants to go into space like us. The majority of the human race does not want to leave hearth and home to wander in space in some galactic diaspora. It is in doing both that we will find longer term survival.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 18:41
    You have watched Star Trek too much...

Who wants to stay on a small space vessel for years and years. Not to mention the food, only think of the commercial airliners food...
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 19:36
    You have watched Star Trek too much...

Who wants to stay on a small space vessel for years and years. Not to mention the food, only think of the commercial airliners food...
    Years and years? Try centuries and centuries. Didn't you read 'the book of the long sun'?πŸ™‚
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 20:00
    Years and years? Try centuries and centuries. Didn't you read 'the book of the long sun'?πŸ™‚
    When I went to Alpha Centauri to visit friends last year, I didn't have the time to read it through before we arrived... πŸ™‚
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 22:292 edits
    When I went to Alpha Centauri to visit friends last year, I didn't have the time to read it through before we arrived... πŸ™‚
    Dang, you used the space jumper tech. Lucky. I had to put up with rockets and hibernation, which sucked, you can't ever get warmed up again, you have to take a LONG hot bathπŸ™‚
    BTW, if you are into Sci fi, that book series 'book of the long sun' is several books about a generational spacecraft some 50 miles long or something, with life aboard some 500 years after launch. Great series. Gene Wolfe.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 05:53
    But there are exceptions. There are a number of species which have changed little over the millenia.

Human beings are now in a different stage of evolution whose patterns are unknown.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree