1. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 13:48
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Not in my lifetime or my children's lifetime and probably not in my grandchildren's lifetime. You worry is in vain.
    I am sorry to inform you that it has already started.

So, in your opinion, how much will sea levels rise by the time your grand children are middle aged?
  2. Aylesbury
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 13:55
    Originally posted by humy
    there obviously is some kind of deep seated emotional reason.
    So, what is that, if it is not a personal attack?
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 14:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 14:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 15:11
    Are people still in denial over climate change? seriously? what will it take to jolt them from their position?
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 15:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am sorry to inform you that it has already started.

So, in your opinion, how much will sea levels rise by the time your grand children are middle aged?
    What is your source of information?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 15:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Are people still in denial over climate change? seriously? what will it take to jolt them from their position?
    Nobody here is denying climate change that I am aware of. Perhaps you are wording it poorly. A lot of people do that.
    I am debating irrational alarmists with a chicken little mentality because they read a biased article somewhere. Climate change has been happening before man existed. In fact, the earth was warmer at some point before man existed. Climate change is natural.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 16:062 edits
    Nobody here is denying climate change that I am aware of. Perhaps you are wording it poorly. A lot of people do that.
    I am debating irrational alarmists with a chicken little mentality because they read a biased article somewhere. Climate change has been happening before man existed. In fact, the earth was warmer at some point before man existed. Climate change is natural.
    Simply because you say its natural does not mean that the present trend has occurred because of natural consequences, does it? what is your evidence? that the earth has been warmer before? Well run for the hills Ma Barker, the Feds are coming. Seriously it is as far as I am aware considered to be that the earth was once molten rock. Is that the kind of evidence that you are proffering for this recent trend? that the earth was at some epoch in its history warmer than it is now? really? is it?

You don't think that industrialisation, deforestation, desertification, depletion of ozone because of CFC's etc has had any effect on climate change? i take it you are not a gardner and don't have access to a greenhouse.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 16:561 edit
    What is your source of information?
    http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends.html

Now are you going to answer my question?
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 18:16
    Simply because you say its natural does not mean that the present trend has occurred because of natural consequences, does it? what is your evidence? that the earth has been warmer before? Well run for the hills Ma Barker, the Feds are coming. Seriously it is as far as I am aware considered to be that the earth was once molten rock. Is that the kin ...[text shortened]... ffect on climate change? i take it you are not a gardner and don't have access to a greenhouse.
    Actually I am a gardener, but that is irrelevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eocene
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 18:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends.html

Now are you going to answer my question?
    LOL! Nobody is being forced to move in great numbers. Your position is laughable!
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 18:472 edits
    what will it take to jolt them from their position?

For now, Nothing. That is because its a “quasi-religion” or sometimes called a “pseudoreligion” which is exactly the same thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoreligion

But, in later generations, if any of their children's children believe the same thing and the rest of the population were to hypothetically do nothing: flood water from rising sea levels from melting ice caps forcing them to vacate their homes.
    -or perhaps not! they may say it is part of natural climate variation.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 19:139 edits
    "significant increase in frequency in extreme whether events (drought, floods, hurricanes, etc ) that cause deaths and costly damage."

What extreme weather events? Show me a trend, not a wild theory without merit. I already showed you that 2014 had record food harvests. If there is a real problem show me what it is.
    What extreme weather events? Show me a trend, not a wild theory without merit.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/11/extreme-weather-common-blocking-patterns
    “Climate scientists in Germany noticed that since 2000 there have been an “exceptional number of summer weather extremes, some causing massive damage to society”.
    “Since 2000, we have seen a cluster of these events. ...
    ... “It is especially noticeable for heat extremes.” The intense heatwaves in Russia in 2010, which saw 50,000 people die and the wheat harvest hit hard, and in western Europe in 2003, which saw 30,000 deaths, were both the result of blocking patterns. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change concluded in 2011 that extreme weather would become more common as global warming heats the planet, causing both heatwaves and increasingly severe rain storms. “

+ look at the weather statistics at:
    http://www.climatecommunication.org/new/features/extreme-weather/overview/

and all the statistics that show the increase in incidence of severe hurricanes in the recent decade or two. Example:

https://www.google.co.uk/[WORD TOO LONG].skepticalscience.com%252Fpics%252FNATS_frequency.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.skepticalscience.com%252Fhurricanes-global-warming.htm%3B500%3B359

then come back to us.

I already showed you that 2014 had record food harvests.

What has that food harvest got to do with the observed trend in increasing frequency of severe weather events? It almost irrelevant. Since food harvest is determined not just by how much crop damage any severe weather did but how much was planted, what varieties were planted, how much fertilizer was used, and many other factors many not to do with severe weather, you can, without contradiction, have more severe weather events and still have good overall global harvests -are you implying the contrary?
    Obviously, by far the best way to determine if there has been a general increase in severe weather events in recent years is not look at statistics for food harvest but to look at the statistics for the actual severe weather events themselves. Do do it by just looking at food harvests when you have got perfectly good weather statistics, which we have, that are directly relevant is just completely stupid. See above statistics.
    Do you deny these weather statistics?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '15 19:30
    LOL! Nobody is being forced to move in great numbers. Your position is laughable!
    Are you going to answer the question, or not?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jan '15 01:07
    Originally posted by Duncan Clarke
    We had a few hot summers, so and they called it Global Warming. Then we had a few cold summers, so they called it Climate Change, incorporating both observations.

10000 years ago the earth was covered by ice. Now it isn't. So the earth has been heating up on average for the past 10000 years. That IS Global Warming. Not even the the most ignorant cli ...[text shortened]... , but to blame industrialisation may be unsubstantiated and the measure put in place pure folly.
    So tell me why the glaciers around the whole planet are disappearing. Why the melting of Greenland is accelerating, why are coastal villages in Alaska ALREADY being forced out because the ocean is drowning the town?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree