1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 05:48
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Sweden's total population is only around 9 million, so I think it would be unlikely for Sweden's "best" to ever match China's "best" in nearly anything except the Winter Olympics and speaking Swedish.
    Well, Sweden has excelled in many fields, but only because we want to and willing to pay for it. Math is good for science and China is a rising star.

Why Sweden is (currently) not good in math is for political reasons (IMHO). But that is totally off-topic.
    Remember who is the current world champion in chess. Not China - but xxx !
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 20:442 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 21:233 edits

4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 04:371 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 07:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The base of science is mathematics. If you cannot handle math, then you will never be good in science. You just don't have the means to be a good scientist. This is the fact today. Perhaps it was different in the times of Marie Curie, I don't know.

I am not god in math, and that means that the door is closed for me to a scientific career.

If, I say ...[text shortened]... enetically indisposed toward science.
    Nobelprize in physics? Not for women!

Right or wrong?
    I disagree. If you can handle the basics, this will get you reasonably far in the sciences. Granted, most top level science does require at least calculus, but the concepts and theories can be grasped by anyone with a reasonably mediocre IQ.

I could never be an accountant, that's for sure. I took a statistics class to help with a couple of my fourth year psych classes, and it was absolutely THE most boring class I ever took.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 08:14
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I disagree. If you can handle the basics, this will get you reasonably far in the sciences. Granted, most top level science does require at least calculus, but the concepts and theories can be grasped by anyone with a reasonably mediocre IQ.

I could never be an accountant, that's for sure. I took a statistics class to help with a couple of my fourth year psych classes, and it was absolutely THE most boring class I ever took.
    Yes, I agree with reasonable far. But there is a cieling that you cannot go through without math.

As statistics are important in every science branches, you cannot go far if you cannot handle the statistical theory. In natural science you have to understande deeper math. You can always understand the concept of the current science, but you cannot go further into the unknown. So math is important. Really important.

I myself have been a teacher of astronomy. I could answer virtually any question my students asked me. Because I know the concepts. But when I have to explain further the general concepts then I have to rely that the real scientists have done their jobs, I couldn't, not by a longshot, check their calculations. So I was a good popularizer, but I couldn't really call myself an astronomer, nor scientist. I was unable to produce any new info by research. The only thing I could do was to repeat what other scientists has produced and popularize that.

My point is that math is badly needed to have a good technological and scientific standard. Look at North Korea, what would they be now if they didn't produced so many skilled mathematicians? Stone age?

I respect that you disagree with me.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 08:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The base of science is mathematics. If you cannot handle math, then you will never be good in science. You just don't have the means to be a good scientist. This is the fact today. Perhaps it was different in the times of Marie Curie, I don't know.

I am not god in math, and that means that the door is closed for me to a scientific career.

If, I say ...[text shortened]... enetically indisposed toward science.
    Nobelprize in physics? Not for women!

Right or wrong?
    Women are not "genetically indisposed toward math."
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 09:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Women are not "genetically indisposed toward math."
    Would you like to elaborate a little...?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 19:521 edit

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jul '15 21:491 edit

11. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    28 Jul '15 00:17
    Great effort by Australia to finish sixth with its small population, ahead of Russia! (Yes, I'm Australian)
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '15 02:29

13. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    28 Jul '15 04:191 edit
    Will Alexander Gunning go on to be a great mathematician? He was the (equal) highest scorer at the previous IMO (but his answers were reckoned to be best) and 4th best individually in 2015. The kid from Canada (Zhuo Qun [Alex] Song) who came first is one to watch, too...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '15 19:172 edits

15. Standard memberZzgloo
    no title.
    the universe
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 01:07
    Good job Iran.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree