1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 16:48
    @Suzianne
    There is a thing going on about that, running into barriers to increase the speed and power of CPU's, now the push is to actually downsize the monster programs with their million lines. If they pursued the old way of low level programming instead of the use of millions of modules hooked together which HAS to be inefficient so maybe we will see both ideas working together, bigger HD's and smaller but faster algorithms.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '21 21:271 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 May '21 21:51
    @suzianne said
    Maybe sonhouse can tell us how much onboard RAM the Apollo modules had.

Should be interesting.
    Any currently available smart phone has more computing capacity than the mainframes which guided the moonshots. Memory was precious then, and code was tight.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 May '21 21:57
    @sonhouse said
    @Suzianne
    There is a thing going on about that, running into barriers to increase the speed and power of CPU's, now the push is to actually downsize the monster programs with their million lines. If they pursued the old way of low level programming instead of the use of millions of modules hooked together which HAS to be inefficient so maybe we will see both ideas working together, bigger HD's and smaller but faster algorithms.
    Start by paring down Microsoft. Code-bloat central, in my opinion. I'm still using a DOS-level word processor called XyWrite -- the .exe file is an incredibly slim 185 KB and it can do anything MS-Word can do. You just have to get used to a command line interface, instead of animated puppy-dog wizards and icon/buttons which look like they were designed by 13-yr old girls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XyWrite
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 May '21 15:38
    @moonbus said
    Start by paring down Microsoft. Code-bloat central, in my opinion. I'm still using a DOS-level word processor called XyWrite -- the .exe file is an incredibly slim 185 KB and it can do anything MS-Word can do. You just have to get used to a command line interface, instead of animated puppy-dog wizards and icon/buttons which look like they were designed by 13-yr old girls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XyWrite
    Sadly enough that Information reaches me about 26 years late (that was when i wrote my Diplome thesis using Wordstar...)
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    14 May '21 08:221 edit
    @russ said
    I learnt to program on a ZX 81 as a young lad.

1k is all you need.

[youtube Chess in 1k]R3By_rdwxSg[/youtube]
    You should have got the 16k expansion funniest / saddest thing about the ZX81 was the disconnect between the picture on the cassette tape cover and the actual graphics if it loaded.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree