1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 13:05
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17049295

Amazing find in 12 meters of water, a huge settlement where they were making boats 8000 years ago!
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 05:032 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17049295

Amazing find in 12 meters of water, a huge settlement where they were making boats 8000 years ago!
    The woman claims that in 6000 B.C. the sea was not there. The video makes
    no claim that boat making was taking place 8000 years ago. The sea may
    not have been there in 5000 or 4000 B.C. either. She is only guessing.

P.S. She could have said the sea was not there in 16000 B.C. and I would
    agree, but that proves nothing about when the boats were made. I guess
    I should be careful about quoting someone saying B.C. That might be
    considered too spiritual.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 07:15
    Looking for other references to ancient boatmaking, I came across this page:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/10/091001-oldest-human-skeleton-ardi-missing-link-chimps-ardipithecus-ramidus.html

The information is more than two years old, but I missed out on hearing about it then. I found it fascinating, as it seems to support the theory that humans are not necessarily descended from apes, but rather than humans and apes share a common ancestor. Has anyone seen any further references to this species named Ardipithecus ramidus ?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 11:28
    Originally posted by Kewpie

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/10/091001-oldest-human-skeleton-ardi-missing-link-chimps-ardipithecus-ramidus.html

The information is more than two years old, but I missed out on hearing about it then. I found it fascinating, as it seems to support the theory that ...[text shortened]... tor. Has anyone seen any further references to this species named Ardipithecus ramidus ?
    The missing link is still missing. 😏
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 12:13
    I found it fascinating, as it seems to support the theory that humans are not necessarily descended from apes, but rather than humans and apes share a common ancestor. Has anyone seen any further references to this species named Ardipithecus ramidus ?
    Humans are apes (Great Apes, to be specific) and are descended from apes. They are not descended from any other currently living species of ape, but share a common ancestor with them.

Humans are also Monkeys, Primates, Mammals, Vertebrata, Chordata, Animals, and fit within various other classifications. You'll notice that some people will reject the Monkey and Ape classifications but accept that we are Mammals. Just goes to show how illogical people can be when their ego is involved.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 16:13

The information is more than two years old, but I missed out on hearing about it then. I found it fascinating, as it seems to support the theory that ...[text shortened]... tor. Has anyone seen any further references to this species named Ardipithecus ramidus ?
    That's nothing new whatsoever. Zebras are also not descended of horses, but share a common ancestor with them; whales are not descended of hippos but share a common ancestor with them; and budgerigars are not descended from Tyrannosaurus Rex but share a common ancestor with them. This is, I repeat, nothing new to any biologist, or to anyone who has an honest (honest, Hindsey!) interest in evolution.
    There never was a missing link. The missing link is not a link at all. Men and apes share many ancestors, but only a fundamentalist nutjob believes that evolution is supposed to make men descend from chimpanzees, and demand a missing link between them.

Richard
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 16:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The missing link is still missing. 😏
    Even if we found one you wouldn't believe it so what's the difference?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 17:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Humans are apes (Great Apes, to be specific) and are descended from apes. They are not descended from any other currently living species of ape, but share a common ancestor with them.

Humans are also Monkeys, Primates, Mammals, Vertebrata, Chordata, Animals, and fit within various other classifications. You'll notice that some people will reject the Mo ...[text shortened]... that we are Mammals. Just goes to show how illogical people can be when their ego is involved.
    Humans are not even classified as monkeys by the scientist, you dumbo. 😏
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 17:332 edits
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    That's nothing new whatsoever. Zebras are also not descended of horses, but share a common ancestor with them; whales are not descended of hippos but share a common ancestor with them; and budgerigars are not descended from Tyrannosaurus Rex but share a common ancestor with them. This is, I repeat, nothing new to any biologist, or to anyone who has an h ...[text shortened]... pposed to make men descend from chimpanzees, and demand a missing link between them.

Richard
    You are confusing ancestory with common traits. What is common in all
    life forms is the designer. The animals that have a common ancestor are
    within the same "Kind". A monkey is a not the same "Kind" as man. It
    does not make any difference if man decides to classify them within the
    same category because of common traits they are still different "kinds".
    One "kind" of animal can not reproduce an animal outside its "kind". 😏
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 21:54
    You are confusing ancestory with common traits. What is common in all
    life forms is the designer. The animals that have a common ancestor are
    within the same "Kind". A monkey is a not the same "Kind" as man. It
    does not make any difference if man decides to classify them within the
    same category because of common traits they are still different "kinds".
    One "kind" of animal can not reproduce an animal outside its "kind". 😏
    That would be 'species', not 'kind'. That is what makes species, species.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Feb '12 01:461 edit
    That would be 'species', not 'kind'. That is what makes species, species.
    So a species can not mate with a different species either? I was not aware of
    that. If so, I guess that would be the same is a kind.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 22:09
    So a species can not mate with a different species either? I was not aware of
    that. If so, I guess that would be the same is a kind.
    You do realize a goat is a different species from bovines, right? There is no such thing as a govine or a boatπŸ™‚
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 00:32
    You do realize a goat is a different species from bovines, right? There is no such thing as a govine or a boatπŸ™‚
    I don't need to know that. 😏
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 04:00
    Even if we found one you wouldn't believe it so what's the difference?
    I gave you the thumbs down, dont egg it on. You constantly complain about these people, and here you are giving him treats, what gives?

Thats was a rhetorical question.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 04:38
    If people didn't feed the troll, maybe it would give up. You can't reason with trolls, they're incapable of rational thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree