1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 11:192 edits
    http://phys.org/news/2016-01-evidence-real-ninth-planet.html

I guess found is not the right word. Inferred is more like it.

If it is found, the amount of sunlight it receives is about 7 milliwatts per square meter...

So a solar collecting panel 1000 meters squared would collect 7000 watts times the efficiency, say being generous, 30%, leaves you with 2100 watts. Enough to heat your bathwater I guess.

Total though, if it is 2X the size of Earth, it would receive about 3 terawatts on the planet as a whole.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 11:59
    Get your telescopes out; the race is on to name it after the one who first sights it!
  3. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 14:25
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Get your telescopes out; the race is on to name it after the one who first sights it!
    Is this the planet that goes round the sun once every 10,000 years or so?
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 21:54
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Get your computer simulated telescopes out...
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 21:161 edit
    Originally posted by pawnpaw
    Is this the planet that goes round the sun once every 10,000 years or so?
    This one. not ten. but 20 thousand years. Assuming they did their math right.

Their math says nothing about where it is in its alleged orbit however. It clearly is not something you will see even with hubble, it will take a scope with a lot more mirror than that to suss it out. And it would have to be covered with some kind of ice, a nice reflective surface to be visible at all.

It will be a great discovery if they ever find it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree