1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That was my line, don't know how it got hooked to your handle.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 15:112 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That was my line, don't know how it got hooked to your handle.
    He hasn't got the imagination to come up with his own lines, as least not any with even the slightest of intelligence, hence he really likes using other people's lines -he has to.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 15:17
    Originally posted by humy
    He hasn't got the imagination to come up with his own lines, as least not any with even the slightest of intelligence, hence he really likes using other people's lines -he has to.
    Any comment about how the statement "a calorie is a calorie" is incorrect when it comes to weight gain?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 19:18
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Any comment about how the statement "a calorie is a calorie" is incorrect when it comes to weight gain?
    Did we already go over the bit about how food calories = 1000 chemical calories?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 21:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did we already go over the bit about how food calories = 1000 chemical calories?
    Did you bother to read the original post to this thread?
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 06:443 edits
    You mean the 'news' that weight gain is not only controlled by calorie consumption but is also controlled by some other factors? If so, this is not news. It is not something new we didn't know before and I already knew it. don't know why you would think we didn't already know this.

I also don't know why you think of the possible influence of gluten in weight gain is interesting in particular. I don't find it of any special interest. I, like many people, eat a lot of gluten and I am skinny -so is there any reason why I personally should reduce my gluten consumption to reduce weight? Therefore, it would appear to be unlikely that gluten is the main causal factor of obesity and is a lesser and miner causal factor and I would say it is still mainly consumption of too many calories that is the cause of obesity. If someone is overweight, they should still be advised to reduce the calorie consumption and pay less attention to their gluten consumption. Sure there are other causal factors, but so what? We obviously all already knew this. So what's your point?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 15:19
    You mean the 'news' that weight gain is not only controlled by calorie consumption but is also controlled by some other factors? If so, this is not news. It is not something new we didn't know before and I already knew it. don't know why you would think we didn't already know this.

?
    Yet certain idiots still like to repeat a known falsehood. Wow, an interesting reply humy.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 16:23
    Did you bother to read the original post to this thread?
    I was just pointing out that fact. I didn't see it in your original post, you just talked about the consumption of gluten and the increase in body weight vs not consuming gluten and increasing or decreasing the body metabolic rate and epigenetics and the like, like DNA mythylation so I thought I would throw in that tid bit.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 17:252 edits
    Yet certain idiots still like to repeat a known falsehood. Wow, an interesting reply humy.
    Exactly what 'falsehood' are you referring to and where exactly was this falsehood 'repeated' ? Can you give a specific example/reference of this? Neither I nor any other person's post in this thread that I have seen so far has been saying that calorie consumption is the only possible causal factor in obesity with no possible other influencing factors. If what you are saying here is that this is false, please give a specific example of a quote in this thread that shows this.....
    If this is not what you are saying, then exactly what falsehood are you referring to if not this one?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 17:54
    Exactly what 'falsehood' are you referring to and where exactly was this falsehood 'repeated' ? Can you give a specific example/reference of this? Neither I nor any other person's post in this thread that I have seen so far has been saying that calorie consumption is the only possible causal factor in obesity with no possible other influencing fac ...[text shortened]... is is not what you are saying, then exactly what falsehood are you referring to if not this one?
    Go to the thread where you said a calorie is a calorie. Surely you remember. It is in the other thread I recently started.
  11. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Apr '14 20:241 edit
    Go to the thread where you said a calorie is a calorie. Surely you remember. It is in the other thread I recently started.
    I never said "a calorie is a calorie" so have no idea what you are talking about although it is always a toxicological fact that "a X is a X" regardless of what X is. Back to my question; what 'falsehood'? please just state it.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '14 15:49
    Did you not state that being over weight was simply a problem of eating too much. It is simply a problem with calorie intake.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    25 Apr '14 17:02
    Did you not state that being over weight was simply a problem of eating too much. It is simply a problem with calorie intake.
    For the vast majority of people who are overweight it is because they eat too much. What "too much" is varies from person to person since people's metabolism and digestive systems differ. For some people it will be easier than for others to maintain a healthy weight, but in nearly all cases it's a matter of discipline and/or sufficient exercise (mainly the former).
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    25 Apr '14 17:22
    Did you not state that being over weight was simply a problem of eating too much.

NO. Where did I say that is was “simply”, i.e. ONLY a problem of eating “too much”? If what you imply here by “too much” is purely volume of food rather than calories, I CLEARLY never implied this. I said that if your “when your total calorie intake is too high” that this can cause obesity. This, obviously, doesn't exclude OTHER possible causes of obesity. There can be more than one possible cause of something without logical contradiction, right? Although, obviously, it is reasonable to assume that too many calories is the main causal factor in this case -the operative word here is “main”; this still doesn't exclude other casual factors such as luck of exercise and slow basal metabolism etc.
    It is simply a problem with calorie intake.

If what you imply by “simply” here is that is that I said calorie intake is the ONLY cause of obesity, no, I never said this. This is what I actually said:

“...It is not “sugars and grains” that causes obesity but rather it is when your total calorie intake is too high. Meat, sugars and grains are all, per given volume, high in calories. If you eat any one of them alone, including just meat alone, in excess of your nutritionally required calorie intake, or if you eat any combination of the three or any high calorie foods or any combination of foods whether they have a high concentration of calories or not but in excess of your nutritionally required calorie intake, you will gain weight and can become obese. Of course, if your total calorie intake is not excessive, none of these food will make you fat whether you eat meat or grain etc.

I for one am and always been skinny and I have been eating a diet with lot of grain and potato for all my life but have never been overweight. It is no one food that causes obesity but rather the total calorie intake that counts. ...”

Where in the above did I rule out other causal factors for obesity -please highlight EXACTLY where....
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '14 17:201 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    For the vast majority of people who are overweight it is because they eat too much. What "too much" is varies from person to person since people's metabolism and digestive systems differ. For some people it will be easier than for others to maintain a healthy weight, but in nearly all cases it's a matter of discipline and/or sufficient exercise (mainly the former).
    Eating too much could simply be a symptom. Of course one of those problems has to do with hormones, which can be effected by the kinds of food you eat.

How effective exercise is for controlling weight has much to do with genetics. People do not get equal results.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree