1. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Math describes the dog, but the dog is not performing mathematical calculations. Is a raindrop doing math in order to maintain as close to a perfect sphere as it possibly can?
    That's what I'm wondering. For a non-scientist, non-mathematician like me, the obvious answer is "no, it's not." But it does raise a few questions for me.

I recognize that math is tool we can use to describe things in nature (like raindrops or bubbles or acceleration). But humans use all sorts of tools to describe things in nature, and nature isn't dependent on our description of it.

Is a plant conducting photosynthesis to get energy from the sun? Isn't the term"photosynthesis" just a tool of ours to describe what's naturally occurring? The plant obviously doesn't know that what it is doing is something we call photosynthesis -- but
    it's still doing the thing we're describing, right?

So why can't we say that a raindrop is doing the math? Isn't it still doing the thing that we're describing using math? This all may simply be something within the definition or fundamentals of math that is lost on me. KN mentioned induction, but I'm not familiar with that term in this sense.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 19:59
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    That's what I'm wondering. For a non-scientist, non-mathematician like me, the obvious answer is "no, it's not." But it does raise a few questions for me.

I recognize that math is tool we can use to describe things in nature (like raindrops or bubbles or acceleration). But humans use all sorts of tools to describe things in nature, and nature i ...[text shortened]... me. KN mentioned induction, but I'm not familiar with that term in this sense.
    Here is a link to an interesting article about how basemen catch those fly balls:

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2010/01/22/for.most.outfielders.luck.has.nothing.do.with.catching.flies
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Jan '10 20:39

I recognize that math is tool we can use to describe things in nature (like raindrops or bubbles or acceleration). But humans use all sorts of tools to describe things in nature, and nature i ...[text shortened]... me. KN mentioned induction, but I'm not familiar with that term in this sense.
    I think "doing the math" means mentally analyzing something using math. Thus raindrops and plants are not "doing the math" as they have no minds.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 13:08

The way I see it, being a formalist, mathematics is a language. Mathematical objects do not exist outside its syntax and so require semantics to be meaningful outside its own rules of inference. Mathematics, when applied to the world, is then merely descriptive and so the raindrop is not doing math. Not anymore than it is speaking English!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:26
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The way I see it, being a formalist, mathematics is a language. Mathematical objects do not exist outside its syntax and so require semantics to be meaningful outside its own rules of inference. Mathematics, when applied to the world, is then merely descriptive and so the raindrop is not doing math. Not anymore than it is speaking English!
    Yet, here is this dumb oil drop doing seemingly intelligent things:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527443.900-what-a-mazesolving-oil-drop-tells-us-of-intelligence.html
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yet, here is this dumb oil drop doing seemingly intelligent things:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527443.900-what-a-mazesolving-oil-drop-tells-us-of-intelligence.html
    Seemingly being the key word. Regardless, that's not really an argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree