1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 12:59
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    My intention wasn't to attack. Merely thinking aloud, with your helpful maths.
    yeah right, then you take it up to the spirituality forum and parade it around like some huge banner!

'its a wretched pupil that does not surpass his master', Leonardo da Vinci
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 13:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yeah right, then you take it up to the spirituality forum and parade it around like some huge banner!

'its a wretched pupil that does not surpass his master', Leonardo da Vinci
    Have i taken this argument to the spirituality forum?

NO.

So yet again you seem to be talking out your arse. What a surpirse.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 19:42
    Have i taken this argument to the spirituality forum?

NO.

So yet again you seem to be talking out your arse. What a surpirse.
    now now noobster, i have warned you about your profanities, please refrain, and just for the record, the very same thread, in the spirituality forum, was by coincidence, veering towards this very same subject matter, concerning the duration of humans on earth. i wonder why you sought to prove the invalidity of the Biblical claim, just pure chance i suppose.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 14:56
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I imagine that taking matches as random, as population grows, the prob of marrying first, second or third cousins decreases and will definitely dilute.

We all descend from the mitochondrial Eve anyway, right?
    Yes, but the speed at which we descended from mitochondrial Eve is much slower.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, but the speed at which we descended from mitochondrial Eve is much slower.
    What matters here is the probability of consanguinity, which is more related to population size and geographical dispersion than "speed". If we simulate random matches, even a population of 50k will have a small probability of direct consanguinity.

Do you know how consanguineous must the couple be for the increases in the probability of genetic disease to be significant?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 20:14
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What matters here is the probability of consanguinity, which is more related to population size and geographical dispersion than "speed". If we simulate random matches, even a population of 50k will have a small probability of direct consanguinity.

Do you know how consanguineous must the couple be for the increases in the probability of genetic disease to be significant?
    I have no idea what the criteria are, that's why I popped the question.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 00:46
    now now noobster, i have warned you about your profanities, please refrain, and just for the record, the very same thread, in the spirituality forum, was by coincidence, veering towards this very same subject matter, concerning the duration of humans on earth. i wonder why you sought to prove the invalidity of the Biblical claim, just pure chance i suppose.
    What is it that makes bullies like you think you can tell people what to do? You throw out phrases like "take it to spirituality" as if your voice has some God-like quality to it that must be obeyed. Curious...
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 13:10
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    What is it that makes bullies like you think you can tell people what to do? You throw out phrases like "take it to spirituality" as if your voice has some God-like quality to it that must be obeyed. Curious...
    Robbie's the boss round here,.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 13:12
    Nothing but pure chance.

And please, arse isn't a profanity.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 19:09
    Nothing but pure chance.

And please, arse isn't a profanity.
    It is in Scotland!
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 08:50
    This was the point i was coming on to.

If we consider the Bibles genesis creation story, 4300yrs ago there were only 8 people on the planet. As Playnka has demonstrated, even with an extremely generous population growth there would only be around 100,000 people on the planet by the time the pyramid of Giza was built 1500yrs later. And that doesn't take into account, the civilisations in Mesopotamia, China, India and all the rest.
    As already pointed out by Palynka, that is not right at all. If God suspended disease for a bit and allowed people to have say 8 children, then the worlds population could very easily be accounted for. I believe Joseph supposedly came from a family of 12, though I don't recall whether they all had the same mother - probably not.

A much more important question is where the genetic diversity of current people originated as any studies of that give date further back than 4,300 years, but again, if you believe that God could get 2 of every animal to converge on an ark then flood the whole earth, then introducing a little genetic diversity would be a trivial task.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree