Africa changing, splitting in two:

Africa changing, splitting in two:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jul 13

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/high-speed-geology-violent-seismic-activity-tearing-africa-in-two-a-740641.html

The continents are on the move again.

Cape Town

Moves
07 Jul 13

The rift valley is nothing new, though the recent activity is faster than geologists expected.

Reading the article made me wonder why we don't use geothermal power more. Does anyone know what makes it expensive? Surely being virtually free heat, it should be by far the cheapest? Its also the greenest.
This is taking place in the poorest corner of Africa, surely harnessing it could be an economic boom?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Jul 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
The rift valley is nothing new, though the recent activity is faster than geologists expected.

Reading the article made me wonder why we don't use geothermal power more. Does anyone know what makes it expensive? Surely being virtually free heat, it should be by far the cheapest? Its also the greenest.
This is taking place in the poorest corner of Africa, surely harnessing it could be an economic boom?
Developing the technology may be too expensive compared to the current developed sources of energy available.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jul 13
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Developing the technology may be too expensive compared to the current developed sources of energy available.

The Instructor
It would be a lot easier to develop than fusion power.

I just watched a science channel show about the splitting of Africa and is seems the entire region is going to change where the low lands will be covered in a shallow sea like they have shown was in present day Egypt, where the pyramids were made with rock that had embedded inside life forms shown to be fossils billions of years old.

E

Moves
07 Jul 13

Originally posted by twhitehead

Global warming! It's got to be man made Global warming! Stop the madness!!!!

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 Jul 13

The Instructor
The cheap alternative is to ask the Icelanders how they do it rather than reinventing the technology.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jul 13

Originally posted by DeepThought
The cheap alternative is to ask the Icelanders how they do it rather than reinventing the technology.
Maybe the Icelanders could export their geysers.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Jul 13

The Instructor
So you accept the fact that the continents move.