1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '16 22:501 edit
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/a22220/alien-superstructure-tabbys-star/

I wanna know who these aliens are and see if we can extract money from them. After all, they need to pay their fair share of universal health care and no doubt are polluting their environment and using limited natural resources! 😠

I also want to know if they support Trump or Hillary.

(No wonder they hide from us) 😛
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 09:04
    This is the science forum, not the delusional politics forum.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 15:502 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This is the science forum, not the delusional politics forum.
    The aliens have gotten to you, haven't they.

Or are you one of them? 😲

Do you have no scientific interest in this whatsoever?

What is your theory as to what is going space cadet?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 16:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    The aliens have gotten to you, haven't they.

Or are you one of them? 😲

What is your theory as to what is going space cadet?
    I have, and it is a sure bet it has nothing to do with aliens. My guess is the star itself is doing stuff not now known.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 17:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have, and it is a sure bet it has nothing to do with aliens. My guess is the star itself is doing stuff not now known.
    So it is the only star in the vast universe doing strange things.

Ok then.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 18:17
    I have a scientific interest in the star. I have no scientific interest in your delusional beliefs that it is somehow tied to a universal healthcare conspiracy. It has nothing to do with aliens either.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 18:18
    It is the only star that we have found so far doing that particular thing. It is far from the only star doing strange things, and probably not the only star doing that particular thing.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 19:37

Ok then.
    You do realize that is one star in our own galaxy and that pretty close in galactic terms?

You do realize, maybe not, we can't spot individual stars in other galaxies, right? You also realize there are literally hundreds of billions of GALAXIES, right? Each one with hundreds of billions of stars in them.

So to say that is the only one like it in the entire universe is to just be being flippant which of course you already know.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '16 20:54
    You do realize that is one star in our own galaxy and that pretty close in galactic terms?

You do realize, maybe not, we can't spot individual stars in other galaxies, right? You also realize there are literally hundreds of billions of GALAXIES, right? Each one with hundreds of billions of stars in them.

So to say that is the only one like it in the entire universe is to just be being flippant which of course you already know.
    Killjoy! 😠
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '16 11:05
    Killjoy! 😠
    Not only that but there is a small probability our whole universe is only one of hundreds of billions just like it or close.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 Aug '16 23:29
    Not only that but there is a small probability our whole universe is only one of hundreds of billions just like it or close.
    I'd like to derail and ask why everything that exists wouldn't be included in the concept of 'universe'.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Aug '16 10:37
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'd like to derail and ask why everything that exists wouldn't be included in the concept of 'universe'.
    You can use that term in several ways. There are hypotheses floating about where our universe is a daughter universe of a parent universe where in that universe a black hole formed and we are the output of that black hole, what they call a white hole and our universe was squeezed out of the energy and mass of the parent universe black hole.

And the parent universe was the daughter of yet another parent universe, the grandparent of ours and so forth possibly ad infinitim.

So our universe and our time is only a local universe and our time is just local time, where our clock started some 14 billion years ago but there would be many other time frames in their own universe, some just starting compared to ours, others long dead or whatever happens to a universe at the wrong end of time.

There is some possible evidence, weak ATT, where they see these circular patterns in the CBR that should not be there according to modern physics.

They think those patterns were caused by another universe outside our framework banging into ours like two balloons bumping into one another.

And the physicists making that conjecture freely admit at this point in time it is just that, conjecture to try to explain some anomalous data in the background radiation charted back a few years.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Aug '16 23:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse...
    They think those patterns were caused by another universe outside our framework banging into ours like two balloons bumping into one another. ...[/b]
    If they bump, they must both be within our framework, and so there is only one universe after all.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '16 04:45
    Originally posted by apathist
    If they bump, they must both be within our framework, and so there is only one universe after all.
    If they are, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of universes occupying a different set of dimensions, like say we have dimension 1,2,3 and time but another universe might have dimension 5,6,7 and THEIR time. We would never interact.

Even so, if another universe 'bumped' into ours causing the circular stain on the CMB, that other universe didn't penetrate ours and probably bounced off saying some kind of "skin" protects our universe from intrusion.

Of course, freely admitted reading an awful lot into one set of anomalous data on the CMB. It is there though and that is what leads to this kind of speculation.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Aug '16 12:01
    I like the idea of universes bumping. rowr

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree