An Australian solution to recycling all plastics

An Australian solution to recycling all plastics

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
17 Nov 19
5 edits

A process has been invented for turning a mixture of all types of plastics back to the chemical components in liquid form that then can then be processed as a new raw material to make new plastics or even car fuel.
The great thing about that is that there is no need to separate out the different types of plastic in the plastic waste before recycling; An otherwise all-too-common common major stumbling block to many plastic recycling ideas.
The process uses very hot water at very high pressures.

I tried but so far failed to also find a text-article about that for anyone that doesn't like youtubes. Anyone?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
18 Nov 19

@humy said
A process has been invented for turning a mixture of all types of plastics back to the chemical components in liquid form that then can then be processed as a new raw material to make new plastics or even car fuel.
The great thing about that is that there is no need to separate out the different types of plastic in the plastic waste before recycling; An otherwise all-too-common ...[text shortened]... so far failed to also find a text-article about that for anyone that doesn't like youtubes. Anyone?
With polyethylene or polystyrene I can see it. But PVC contains chlorine, so how do they handle that. I find it difficult to believe it'll work at all on PTFE. Is there a reference on the actual YouTube page? Clicking the link here only shows the video - and one of my PC speakers hums to the point where listening to anything is impossible so I have to use a different device.

h

Moves
18 Nov 19
5 edits

@deepthought said
With polyethylene or polystyrene I can see it. But PVC contains chlorine, so how do they handle that. I find it difficult to believe it'll work at all on PTFE. Is there a reference on the actual YouTube page? Clicking the link here only shows the video - and one of my PC speakers hums to the point where listening to anything is impossible so I have to use a different device.
I tried again and I am afraid I still failed to find a better link on that.

Although words said the link didn't ever include "supercritical water", I strongly suspect that's what they were really talking about because I once read somewhere about supercritical water being able to dissolve and liquefy substances, such as non-thermal plastics or high-chlorine plastics etc, that will not readily dissolve or liquefy in any other circumstances. That said, I still wonder if to say it works on "all plastics" is an exaggeration and what they meant was "nearly-all". Its a pity the video doesn't clarify that nor explain in detail exactly HOW the process works; They only say it "uses very hot water at very high pressures" (or words of that effect) and..., that's it! That doesn't explain much does it!
But at least they demonstrated the process DOES work, which is something. And they are already talking about making more of those recycling processing plants so I guess that surely means its reasonably cost effective.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
20 Nov 19

@humy
I took a look, but my PC speakers are disfunctional, they're closed units, so I can't tinker and one of them is generating a buzz, however it's ABC News so I doubt they're making it up!

I did a quick google search using the following search term: "hot water to recycle plastic"

One of the results was an article in National Geographic talking about PET bottles degrading in hot conditions and releasing antimony into the bottled water [1].

The following search term: "superheated water to destroy plastic" produced a result from Wikipedia [2] and one from Stanford [3] whose titles look as if they might be relevant. As it happens the Stanford page is a simple introduction and looks like an easier read than the Wikipedia page...

[1] https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/environment-and-conservation/2019/07/exposed-extreme-heat-plastic-bottles-may-ultimately-become
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization
[3] http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/mendez2/

h

Moves
20 Nov 19

@deepthought said
@humy
I took a look, but my PC speakers are disfunctional, they're closed units, so I can't tinker and one of them is generating a buzz, however it's ABC News so I doubt they're making it up!

I did a quick google search using the following search term: "hot water to recycle plastic"

One of the results was an article in National Geographic talking about PET bottles ...[text shortened]... kipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization
[3] http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/mendez2/
Your first link wouldn't open for me.
But your last link worked and seems good.

w

Moves
20 Nov 19

@humy said
The great thing about that is that there is no need to separate out the different types of plastic in the plastic waste before recycling; An otherwise all-too-common ...[text shortened]... so far failed to also find a text-article about that for anyone that doesn't like youtubes. Anyone?
.... to make new plastics or even car fuel.

Just like the device from one of the Back to the Future movies where Doc could throw a few banana peels into it and it would fuel the flux capacitor.