1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '15 17:53
    http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/05/how-a-grad-student-uncovered-a-huge-fraud.html

The dude got away with it for years and was just about to offered a teaching post at PRINCETON! It turns out it wasn't just the data for his project that was faked, he also faked CV stuff too, like a fake award for innovative teacher or some such.

Gives science a bad name and a black eye. This went on for more than 10 years!
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '15 19:012 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/05/how-a-grad-student-uncovered-a-huge-fraud.html

The dude got away with it for years and was just about to offered a teaching post at PRINCETON! It turns out it wasn't just the data for his project that was faked, he also faked CV stuff too, like a fake award for innovative teacher or some such.

Gives science a bad name and a black eye. This went on for more than 10 years!
    I think there's a lesson here for people who bought into it. One of the fundamental principles of science is that you can reproduce the results. It's harder in social sciences (obviously), but you should land in the same ballpark. Until such reproduced results are generated by researchers independent of the original team, especially if it seems too good to be true, it shouldn't be trusted so completely. Here, a large reason for why this fraud succeeded is Green's participation, but whomever stands behind an article, if it's findings have not been reproduced, nor successfully built on, it should not be trusted.

I like what this story demonstrates though. If somewhat belated, it demonstrates that the scientific method works, in finding and weeding out fraudulent results.

Go Broockman! 🙂
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '15 14:41
    The scientific methodology works. Frauds are found and exposed. The truth will always win.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jun '15 02:42
    Ha - narcissistic personality disorder - he does all the visible things, to gain plaudits, but it's a house built on sand. Just like London Bridge in the end it all falls down.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '15 04:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '15 21:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    At least it wasn't like a genocide, it was mainly the poor geneticists who got killed, Maybe a dozen people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism

Still a rotten thing for a government to do. Government at it's worse. But then there was Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Saddam. Nice boys, eh.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree