Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Jul '11 12:55
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-lawmakers-vote-hubble-successor.html

    No more James Webb telescope, after the Hubble dies that's it for US astronomy in space, pretty much. Still have a few scopes up but we won't be doing anything new for decades. It's dejavu all over again.
  2. 10 Jul '11 16:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-07-lawmakers-vote-hubble-successor.html

    No more James Webb telescope, after the Hubble dies that's it for US astronomy in space, pretty much. Still have a few scopes up but we won't be doing anything new for decades. It's dejavu all over again.
    I bet the Chinese will come up with a space telescope next.
    I think the US should do their cost cutting on the army.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Jul '11 02:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I bet the Chinese will come up with a space telescope next.
    I think the US should do their cost cutting on the army.
    And wars, we have already blown 4 trillion dollars in Iraq. That would have bought quite a nice space program.
  4. 11 Jul '11 16:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And wars, we have already blown 4 trillion dollars in Iraq. That would have bought quite a nice space program.
    And is the space program worth more than the freedom of Iraqis or do you think the war was just about oil and didn't benefit the people of Iraq?
  5. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    11 Jul '11 16:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I bet the Chinese will come up with a space telescope next.
    I think the US should do their cost cutting on the army.
    http://www.tgdaily.com/space-features/48706-china-to-start-space-station-construction-next-year

    Going for a station more than includes the odd telescope.

    Wonder where they're pointing though?

    -m.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Jul '11 18:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And is the space program worth more than the freedom of Iraqis or do you think the war was just about oil and didn't benefit the people of Iraq?
    Well it remains to be seen if the war actually helps the common Iraqi. So if we took the same road with ten such wars, we would have spent 40 trillion dollars. Just how much of that are we supposed to do? We can't be the policeman of the entire planet. If Bushwhacker Jr had left Iraq alone, something his father already knew, Iraq and Iran were at loggerheads in a semi-permanent war. With Iran focused on Iraq and Saddam, they would have had less chance to cause havoc in the rest of the middle east. So in that sense it was 4 trillion dollars down the drain.