1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 17:12
    Originally posted by humy
    why is it 'impossible'? Science doesn't say it is impossible. It is just a matter of humanity doing something on such a large scale as to effect climate, which is exactly what we are doing. If we were due for a natural cooling of climate in the present as a result of natural cycles, we have already stopped that. If we can inadvertently interfere with climate, it must also be possible for us to deliberately stop a natural climate change.
    With what we have today it is impossible to stop an ice age. Maybe by the time the next ice age comes we may have the technology to do that. It is hard to say that far into the future, but it nothing more than a dream today.

I seem to have convinced some on this forum that nature is the primary cause of global warming today. That is progress, but suggesting fighting natural warming (or cooling) is a worthy goal is foolish. Laughable really. This whole idea that natural causes are so bad we cannot adapt to it is completely stupid. Absurd nonsense!
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 17:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He just made my point. He clearly thinks mankind too insignificant to have ever screwed up something so huge as an entire planet's eco system and therefore too weak to ever be able to stave off climactic disaster.
    Nope. You now accept that man is not the primary cause, yet you insist we have a significant effect comparable to that. You cannot have it both ways, yet you keep trying.

Maybe someday man will perfect artificial nuclear fusion and be able to have a significant influence on the climate, but we are a long way from that. You should just accept that natural climate change is far too powerful to change very much at this time.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 17:38
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Nope. You now accept that man is not the primary cause, yet you insist we have a significant effect comparable to that. You cannot have it both ways, yet you keep trying.

Maybe someday man will perfect artificial nuclear fusion and be able to have a significant influence on the climate, but we are a long way from that. You should just accept that natural climate change is far too powerful to change very much at this time.
    That is totally asssinine. Mankind DOES have a big effect on climate AND we are not headed for another ice age, just the opposite, maximum we are looking at no ice anywhere in summer. If it keeps up we can end up like Venus. You heard of Venus, right?
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '16 17:47
    That is totally asssinine. Mankind DOES have a big effect on climate AND we are not headed for another ice age, just the opposite, maximum we are looking at no ice anywhere in summer. If it keeps up we can end up like Venus. You heard of Venus, right?
    I said ice ages were cyclical and they are. I didn't say we were approaching an ice age, we just came out of one.

Venus? Seriously???
    Your rhetoric is becoming more and more ridiculous. I see no need to respond to you anymore. You have made my case for me. You cannot keep your mind in reality.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Nov '16 07:155 edits
    With what we have today it is impossible to stop an ice age.
    Just answer my question which you still haven't answered, why is it 'impossible'?
    Or, if you now prefer, why is it 'impossible' "with what we have today"?
    Just moronically shouting "Absurd nonsense!" is not an answer; why is it "Absurd nonsense!"? Is it because it is 'impossible'? Then why is it 'impossible'? it it because it is "Absurd nonsense!"? then why "Absurd nonsense!"? Circular 'explanations' explain nothing.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '16 11:55
    I said ice ages were cyclical and they are. I didn't say we were approaching an ice age, we just came out of one.

Venus? Seriously???
    Your rhetoric is becoming more and more ridiculous. I see no need to respond to you anymore. You have made my case for me. You cannot keep your mind in reality.
    The climate on Venus is due to runaway atmospheric heating. It is thought Venus was like Earth billions of years ago with oceans and an atmosphere similar in pressure at least, to Earth, cool enough to have liquid water but the CO2 buildup ran out of control till it is almost a thousand degress F there now. Something like that could happen on Earth if the conditions ran away like Venus. I don't expect that to happen but it is in the realm of possibility.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 16:12
    Are there people still arguing that the warmest temperatures on record are due to natural phenomena and have nothing to do with human activity? Seriously?
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 16:352 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Are there people still arguing that the warmest temperatures on record are due to natural phenomena and have nothing to do with human activity? Seriously?
    I am afraid so. To be fair, there merely being the warmest temperatures on record doesn't by itself logically imply human activity is the cause. However, when you combine that with all the other evidence then to suggest that it has nothing to do with human activity becomes pretty absurd. That other evidence includes irrefutably proven basic physics implying that CO2 should cause global warming (thus it would be a huge mystery if it didn't! ) and the unique CO2 warming signature being clearly observed in the form of relative cooling of the stratosphere compared to the troposphere; exactly as physics predicts should happen with CO2 warming and this observation alone rules out all other possible natural causes of the most recent warming. Pity most people, even most scientists, ain't aware of that latter piece of extremely powerful evidence that is probably by far the strongest piece of empirical evidence of there existing significant man made warming there is to date.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Nov '16 16:57
    I am afraid so. To be fair, there merely being the warmest temperatures on record doesn't by itself logically imply human activity is the cause. However, when you combine that with all the other evidence then to suggest that it has nothing to do with human activity becomes pretty absurd. That other evidence includes irrefutably prov ...[text shortened]... est piece of empirical evidence of there existing significant man made warming there is to date.
    And that doesn't even count the evidence of far past CO2 highs corrolated with high temperatures but Metal head says no the temperature rise CAUSED the CO2 rise.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 17:061 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No, nobody claimed it has "nothing" to do with it. I am claiming man is NOT the primary cause and the suggestion that man is the primary cause is a myth. I have been very consistent about that for a long time. Leftists like to mislead, that is all.

What humy conveniently leaves out is the fact that the Pliocene Epoch had close to the same amount of CO2 in the atmosphere as today, yet it was a lot warmer. It was so warm that all the glaciers melted. Humy cannot explain this without admitting he and other leftists have greatly over-estimated the warming CO2 has on the earth. Because ice core samples (Vostok) show that temps came first and then caused CO2 levels to rise because warmer temps cause the ocean to hold less CO2 (see Henry's Law) it is WRONG to assume higher CO2 levels would result in an equal level of warming. The Pliocene is good evidence of this, but humy and others are in denial that everything they thought was right is wrong. The cognitive dissonance must be strong with them. They cannot accept it even when the proof is right in front of their face.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 17:08
    And that doesn't even count the evidence of far past CO2 highs corrolated with high temperatures but Metal head says no the temperature rise CAUSED the CO2 rise.
    Wrong. I said that past warming caused CO2 to rise and that is a fact. More misleading nonsense from you leftists who ignore science when it is convenient for you.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 17:10
    I am afraid so. To be fair, there merely being the warmest temperatures on record doesn't by itself logically imply human activity is the cause. However, when you combine that with all the other evidence then to suggest that it has nothing to do with human activity becomes pretty absurd. That other evidence includes irrefutably prov ...[text shortened]... est piece of empirical evidence of there existing significant man made warming there is to date.
    Still trying to mislead people I see. You know full well I never said that. You know it better than anyone on here too. You are a pathetic liar!
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 17:25
    Just answer my question which you still haven't answered, why is it 'impossible'?
    Or, if you now prefer, why is it 'impossible' "with what we have today"?
    Just moronically shouting "Absurd nonsense!" is not an answer; why is it "Absurd nonsense!"? Is it because it is 'impossible'? Then why is it 'impossible'? it it because it is "Absurd nonsense!"? then why "Absurd nonsense!"? Circular 'explanations' explain nothing.
    Your belief that man can affect the climate anywhere near what nature does is pure hubris. I see no reason to argue with someone plagued with so much hubris.

You cannot even prove climate scientists believe man is the primary cause, because they don't. Prove your positive!
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    12 Nov '16 07:27
    Your belief that man can affect the climate anywhere near what nature does is pure hubris. I see no reason to argue with someone plagued with so much hubris.

You cannot even prove climate scientists believe man is the primary cause, because they don't. Prove your positive!
    So you don't answer my simple question of why, according to your non-expert opinion, it is "impossible" or "absurd".
    Must mean you have no answer.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '16 13:353 edits

Take a look at this consensous:

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

7 science organizations say you are full of shlt. You AND your buddy you parrot.

And this, a study done of over 1300 CLIMATE SCIENTISTS say 95% of THEM agree humans are causing climate change.

https://www.wunderground.com/resources/climate/928.asp

The REAL problem here is you being in denial. You can drown in De Nile you know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree