1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 23:08
    @Eladar
    You don't want to talk politics anymore because you lose every time.
    Speaking of UV though, I ordered some UVC lights, will see what happens. This one spits out UV in broad area not like flashlight so it may clear out a whole room.

I also saw ads for strip LED UVC lights, looks like about ten on a strip. At least with those the light can be aimed, but the price is around 300 dollars.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '20 23:20
    @sonhouse

This is the science forum, so politics is not appropriate.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 May '20 15:08
    @eladar said
    @sonhouse

This is the science forum, so politics is not appropriate.
    What difference does it make what forum we use when you just poo poo whatever we say?
    Getting back to science, I wonder if a laser tuned to an EXACT wavelength could destroy C19 in a millisecond and with a low power, not like those ads we see of these new laser pointers with multi WATT power that can start fires.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 May '20 16:08
    @sonhouse said
    What difference does it make what forum we use when you just poo poo whatever we say?
    Getting back to science, I wonder if a laser tuned to an EXACT wavelength could destroy C19 in a millisecond and with a low power, not like those ads we see of these new laser pointers with multi WATT power that can start fires.
    The answer is: Yes it would. But it would destroy each and every organic molecule in the way... Ther is no special functional group to which the laser could be tunes that is not found in other molecules.
    Probably the old irradiation method would also work.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 May '20 16:19
    Perhaps sometimes it is best to let nature take its course.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 May '20 17:061 edit
    @eladar said
    In this case "let nature take its course" means let a random selection of a few thousand people die and generally die an unpleasant death.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 May '20 17:13
    @humy said
    In this case "let nature take its course" means let a random selection of a few thousand people die and generally die an unpleasant death.
    That is life.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 May '20 17:14
    @eladar said
    i'm so glad we didn't do that for polio or measles or ebola or AIDS or the seasonal flu or any number of other things that nature has hurled at us over the years.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 May '20 17:492 edits
    @wildgrass said
    i'm so glad we didn't do that for polio or measles or ebola or AIDS or the seasonal flu or any number of other things that nature has hurled at us over the years.
    We did a lockdown for any of those?
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 May '20 18:20
    @eladar said
    We did a lockdown for any of those?
    The main way to fight those other deseases isn't via lockdown.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 May '20 18:24
    @humy said
    The main way to fight those other deseases isn't via lockdown.
    Polio? A shutdown would have helped.

Social distancing shutting down places where gay men met for sex would have saved lives.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 May '20 18:34
    @eladar said
    A vaccine worked better.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 May '20 18:49
    @eladar said

Social distancing shutting down places where gay men met for sex would have saved lives.
    Are you talking about Polio or HIV here. You do realise that with HIV a lot of the safe/safer sex message came from the gay community?
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 May '20 19:06
    @eladar said

Polio is (was) spread through infected food or water. It typically wasn't transmitted through direct person-person contact (although it probably can be). Also, it was spreading in human populations long before we knew what a virus was. I'm not sure how much a shutdown would have helped.

During the Spanish Flu epidemic, there were shutdowns. Schools, movie theaters, bars and churches were closed. People wore masks. Epidemiologists learned a lot from that outbreak and the common outlook is that the preventative measures were put in place too late.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 May '20 19:201 edit
    @wildgrass
    Keeping kids away from each other sharing their germs, then polio would have been cut back.

Spanish Flu had much greater deaths than this thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree