1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 03:55
    Photonics is my field now, if anyone is interested, here is a photonics handbook:
    http://www.photonics.com/handbookHome.aspx?utm_source=2008-03-05&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weeklyNewsletter
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 05:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Photonics is my field now, if anyone is interested, here is a photonics handbook:
    http://www.photonics.com/handbookHome.aspx?utm_source=2008-03-05&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weeklyNewsletter
    cool.
    is is a specialization, or PhD?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 13:52
    Originally posted by serigado
    cool.
    is is a specialization, or PhD?
    Just a technician, helped build a photonics development lab from a bare concrete floor, and a cleanroom, designed several pieces of gear used in the lab, built the infrastructure and maintained the equipment like a reactive ion beam etcher, chemical Vapor Deposition machines,
    floating optical benches, redesigned power supplies that were no longer manufactured, designed and built a high voltage high power supply by hand for a gold deposition project, designed and built a millivolt referance supply used to calibrate a thermocouple probe, designed and built an objective lens with zoom capability for an optical comparator we bought used but was missing the objective lens.
    That and more. Our company, Inplane Photonics, was bought out by Cyoptics and I talked to the CEO about going to work there instead of Inplane, because while it was a great job, you can see that from my accomplishments there, the commute was killing me plus Inplane was on hard times and I went from 63,000 a year to about 40K losing benefits and going down to 2 days a week work, all that for a 160 mile daily commute. So the CEO talked to his managers and they found me a job at the Brieningsville Pa plant, the same place I used to work 10 years ago for Lucent which sold the place off, so now I am back at my old location with a 20 mile drive instead, in a position in final test of a 40 Gigahertz laser modulator, which has some extremely sophisticated tests, sending the laser signal down 90 Kilometers of optical fiber wrapped around a drum to measure how much data is lost going through that much fiber, that is only one of the tests, its a very demanding position, so much to learn in such a short time, I already have filled three notebooks full of proceedures and such, setups of the test set, very complicated stuff indeed. Very 21st century. So thats the 50 cent tour of my life in photonics for the past 10 years.
  4. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 02:10
    Just a technician
    "Just"
    I wish bubble physics sounded as cool as photonics.
  5. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 04:01
    I don't know if it is the same thing, but I was an engineer in Photolithography for 5 years, working in the cleanroom making DRAM.

High tech stuff.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 10:08
    Amazingly, no. I'm not into photonics... yet...

๐Ÿ™„
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 13:10
    Originally posted by mlprior
    I don't know if it is the same thing, but I was an engineer in Photolithography for 5 years, working in the cleanroom making DRAM.

High tech stuff.
    Photonics uses very similar technology, but builds from the surface up instead of using Ion Implanters to make electrically conductive layers below the surface and patterning circuitry with your photolitho techniques. Before I was into photonics, I was an Ion Implant field service engineer and was probably into the cleanroom you worked at, since I hit just about all of them at one time or other๐Ÿ™‚ So what company did you work for? So in photonics the substrates are sometimes just glass, for instance, at Inplane Photonics, one of the devices was based on Erbium Doping, the erbium does its quantum trick with light and amplifies or lases depending on how you arrange things. We only wanted amplification and stopped just short of lasing.
    The process of making the Erbium was to sputter glass with the proper amount of dopant together to make a substrate with an evenly mixed exact percentage of erbium and then patterning and etching down and filling with glass of a differant refractive index so we could make waveguides that conducted light, it was an all optical circuit, there was no conductivity. Other chips are added that had electrical stuff like APD detectors but they were hybrid circuits placed on top of the erbium section. The eventual goal of photonics is to eliminate any electrical interaction so its entirely photonic, which would be a thousand times faster than the electronic-photonic mix we use today but that is a few years down the line. We still use 40 Ghz electronic inputs to modulate the laser signal at Cypotics for now.
  8. Joined
    23 Mar '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 03:49
    Photonics uses very similar technology, but builds from the surface up instead of using Ion Implanters to make electrically conductive layers below the surface and patterning circuitry with your photolitho techniques. Before I was into photonics, I was an Ion Implant field service engineer and was probably into the cleanroom you worked at, since I hit just ...[text shortened]... he line. We still use 40 Ghz electronic inputs to modulate the laser signal at Cypotics for now.
    Micron Technology. I only worked in photo with ASML steppers so I don't know what brand of implant machines were used.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 12:49
    Originally posted by mlprior
    Micron Technology. I only worked in photo with ASML steppers so I don't know what brand of implant machines were used.
    Would that have been Micron in Idaho? I was there, you have or had the high current Varian machines, 80-10 through 160-10 series batch machines. I worked on one that had a busted 200 KEV power supply.
    Its a power supply buried in about 200 gallons of mineral oil which is an excellent insulator. You have to don these long rubber sleeve protectors to dig into the mineral oil to fix it and undo bolts to lift out the power supply proper, friggin messy job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree