1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 20:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Claims?

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web:
    "The World Wide Web (commonly shortened to the Web) is a system of interlinked hypertext documents accessed via the Internet. With a Web browser, a user views Web pages that may contain text, images, videos, and other multimedia and navigates between them using hyperlinks. [b]The World W ...[text shortened]... hich Web pages are composed), and in recent years has advocated his vision of a Semantic Web."
    OK, they invented the WWW.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 21:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    OK, they invented the WWW.
    [/b]I always thought the US army invented the WWW.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 21:40
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I always thought the US army invented the WWW.[/b]
    Someone told me once that Americans invented e-mail, but Europe invented the www.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 01:502 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I always thought the US army invented the WWW.[/b]
    DARPA actually. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.
    Here is a link if anyone is interested. It all started in 1961 with a paper on digital packet switching and in 62 by JCR Licklider at MIT and then Darpa where he talked about the importance of a world wide network of linked computers. Turns out he was right🙂
    http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.shtml#Origins
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 05:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    DARPA actually. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.
    Here is a link if anyone is interested. It all started in 1961 with a paper on digital packet switching and in 62 by JCR Licklider at MIT and then Darpa where he talked about the importance of a world wide network of linked computers. Turns out he was right🙂
    http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.shtml#Origins
    Internet started by DARPA back in the sixties, yes, but WWW was not a part of it back then.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 07:403 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Internet started by DARPA back in the sixties, yes, but WWW was not a part of it back then.
    Us hams used packet switching in 1964 or maybe even earlier, we had the first internet, slow as hell but it worked, we had our own network on Two Meters, like cell phone towers some connected clear across the US. We also had the first cell phones, we were doing that bit in 1968.
    We used 'handi-talkies' coupled to relay towers that coupled to other relay towers and you could talk from one 2 meter handi-talkie to another 50 Km away to another one 50 Km from that and so forth to one 5,000 Km away, to another handie talkie, say in Alaska on one end and Florida on the other end. So it was no big jump for us to take to the internet in the early '90s and such, it was already old news for us.
    We also had world wide relay nets where a handi-talkie could start out at 2 meters (145Mhz) and the relay tower would convert that signal to a lower frequency like 10 meters (28 Mhz) and during solar cycle peaks could talk around the world to another tower that converted the signal in reverse so one walkie talkie could talk to another one, say the first one in LA and the second one in the Ukraine. I mention the Ukraine because I did that myself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree