1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 10:29
    Originally posted by apathist
    Apparently we get to invent math terms that have no basis in reality.
    Our Big Blue Marble covers about 1.600.000 miles daily on its annual 584.000.000 miles orbit around the sun, so its speed is approximately 18,5 miles per second. What about that as “a basis in reality”?
    😵
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Jan '13 17:13
    You mean I was wrong? That's hardly ever happened before. Or maybe we can stick random digits into all sorts of holes.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 08:411 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    I will sort it out:

“If I were to believe this universe exists” –the observer universe is existent;

“and I try to get beyond it, to what it may exist in” –it is my knowledge that the observer universe the very way you perceive it, is existent that way solely because your awareness herenow collapses the wafefunction so that you end up with that wa dissolve into quantum uncertainty). The void is not the superposition 0/1 but beyond
    😵
    I'm not familiar with Schrodinger's equations. What do you mean by collapsing the wave function?
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 21:01
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    I'm not familiar with Schrodinger's equations. What do you mean by collapsing the wave function?
    With the mathematical entity that is known as wavefunction, it is possible to determine the probabilities of differ quantum events that occur during an observation/ measurement. What is “real” and in which “reality”, before it is observed? Before being observed, “reality” is mathematically described as a pool of probabilities, and at that point there is nothing that can be evaluated as a fully manifested locatable object because the quantum entities are smeared out in a wavefunction of quantum probability. A w/f can be seen as a mathematical description of the probability that a quantum entity will unfold into existence at any specific point.
    At the quantum level there are solely the possibilities for the experience of specific entities; an actual experience of an entity occurs when a subjective consciousness meets a field of possibilities for experience; and each possibility for experience contained within a w/f can be assigned a probability.

Now: you can attribute the bit the value 0 or 1 when its value is known to you (when the w/f is collapsed). When the wavefunction is not collapsed, the value of the bit is indefinite (quantum superposition: 0/1)
    😵
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 01:55
    I'm pretty sure reality exists before we notice it.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 02:10
    I'm pretty sure reality exists before we notice it.
    i'm not, I think both views are equally valid.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 06:12
    Explain.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Jan '13 14:04
    Explain.
    I explained it earlier, but here you are:

Methinks the nature of the reality is epiontic. If the objects and the properties that the observer universe contains exist independently of your cognitive apparatus (I mean independently of your perception and of your awareness), you should be able to comment about them without being aware of their existence. Can you do such a thing?

Of course, to ignore how exactly the reference-fixing mechanism of the observer universe works is not a reason to deny that the differ observers that make up “the reality out there that exists before being noticed” have not already collapsed the w/f by the time they are noticed by us and hence to conclude that they exist in a way that differentiates Them from You (and this way you can for example state: “I am not a car”, “You are not I” etc.). Now, kindly please explain how and by what means can you be able to state that this kind of reality exists Before your cognizance apparatus notices it.

However, in any case our mental and semantic content is grounded in linguistic and cognitive practices, and at this level of awareness the only thing we have is just correlations between mental symbols and mind-dependent objects set up. Therefore, when you insist that reality exists out there “as it is” before you have that very reality conceived, you assume that your asserted sentences have determinate meanings. But this just holds not in the case of the superposition; in order to comment you must establish correspondences between mental symbols and the items in the system to which they refer.

Now, kindly please explain by what means and which way can you attribute the bit the value 0 or 1 when the system is in superposition (0/1).
    Also, leaving aside the quantum realm of existence, prey tell by what means and which way can you attribute the bit the value 0 or 1 prior to being aware of its existence and thus prior to establishing correspondences between mental symbols and the items in the system to which they refer
    😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree