1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 00:24
    http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn13545-nanomaterial-turns-radiation-directly-into-electricity.html?DCMP=ILC-tabViewArt&nsref=dn13545

They convert radiation from a nuclear source directly to electricity!
  2. Germany
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 09:17
    Beta-decay radiation is already electricity by definition, but the new thing seems to be the higher efficiency of the process for practical use.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '08 14:01
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Beta-decay radiation is already electricity by definition, but the new thing seems to be the higher efficiency of the process for practical use.
    There was an earlier version a few years ago where the radiation built up a charge on a capacitor which moved in response to the electric field, it was free floating on one end, like a reed, so it dipped under the electric field and discharged into another cap which built up charges that way, interesting idea, never heard much from it, not very efficient I suppose, this one has the potential to be very efficient and powerful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree