1. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 20:021 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    However the crucial bit is what happened next, ie the cell that was devoured not only
    wasn't killed by, and didn't kill the cell that devoured it. And the two cells started dividing
    together AND formed a symbiotic relationship.
    What I meant was that whole process has happened many times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endosymbiotic_theory

I see also on Wikipedia that the cell nucleus may have arisen through a similar process.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 20:11
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    One cell engulfing another is indeed common.

However the crucial bit is what happened next, ie the cell that was devoured not only
    wasn't killed by, and didn't kill the cell that devoured it. And the two cells started dividing
    together AND formed a symbiotic relationship.
    This is why I think parasitism may have been the motivation (so to speak) of the mitochondrial ancestor. It is in the interests of the parasite that the host does not die. With a predation mechanism one needs to explain why the host cell did not devour the mitochondria. Of course the third possibility is that the relationship was always symbiotic, but initially with the mitochondria neighbouring the host cell, then attached and later still engulfed.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 20:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead

I see also on Wikipedia that the cell nucleus may have arisen through a similar process.
    There are multiple chromosome pairs. Chromosome counts can change, but I don't see why this couldn't represent a sequence of mergers. A eukaryotic cell seems more of a community of organisms than one single unified one.

Where mDNA is different is that it is circular and does not require telomeres like nuclear DNA. So in that case quite different organisms underwent a merger, chromosomes are quite like each other.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 20:26
    Originally posted by twhitehead

Possibly the mechanism that allowed the assimilation of the proto-mitichondria more easily
    facilitated the assimilation of other bacteria?

Once you have developed the tools to assimilate a bacteria and to synchronise it's reproduction
    with yours, those mechanism might well make it easier to do so again, making subsequent
    assimilations more probable?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree