Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    02 Mar '08 20:07
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7268965.stm

    As research like this becomes ever more common, what are the ethical ramifications of AI research. Is it ethical if at the end of a research project in intelligence that the bot be "turned off"? Also, what stresses will the introduction of technologies like this place on society. Can we expect situations as described in Spielbergs "Ai" (without that stupid alien/future human/future robot ending of course)?
    If you were an AI, how would you feel being called a "robot" givent that the term is derived fromt eh word for "slave"?
  2. 02 Mar '08 20:27
    Originally posted by agryson
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7268965.stm

    As research like this becomes ever more common, what are the ethical ramifications of AI research. Is it ethical if at the end of a research project in intelligence that the bot be "turned off"? Also, what stresses will the introduction of technologies like this place on society. Can we expect s ...[text shortened]... u feel being called a "robot" givent that the term is derived fromt eh word for "slave"?
    Complex..... But's what's called AI is simply a set of finite instructions with some random number generator... In this perspective, there should be no ethics. They're just a complex algorithm that might resemble us in some way.
    But the question arises... what are we, then?
  3. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    02 Mar '08 20:58
    Originally posted by serigado
    Complex..... But's what's called AI is simply a set of finite instructions with some random number generator... In this perspective, there should be no ethics. They're just a complex algorithm that might resemble us in some way.
    But the question arises... what are we, then?
    Well, it's true that I should have referred to it as AGI (Artificial General Intelligence). We are simply a very complex computer unless one wants to get all weird and spiritual about it, which one should not. So, where I said AI in the previous post, read AGI.
  4. 02 Mar '08 21:08
    Originally posted by agryson
    Well, it's true that I should have referred to it as AGI (Artificial General Intelligence). We are simply a very complex computer unless one wants to get all weird and spiritual about it, which one should not. So, where I said AI in the previous post, read AGI.
    If I said we have a soul, would you insult me?
    hm.. maybe it's unethical to create artificial intelligence in the first place? That would have to be well regulated and discussed, I can't make a stand on the subject right now...
  5. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    02 Mar '08 21:20
    Originally posted by serigado
    If I said we have a soul, would you insult me?
    hm.. maybe it's unethical to create artificial intelligence in the first place? That would have to be well regulated and discussed, I can't make a stand on the subject right now...
    To insult you would be unfair (and ad hominem), but I would be scathing of your view given that it would smack of self-centred wishful thinking.
    Britain did have a discussion on what kind of legislation would be required int eh event of artificial sentience, in short concluding that artificial sentience should be granted the same rights as humans. Given that the line is likely to be fuzzy presents problems though, which is why my view would be that as soon as we have the slightest hint of artificial sentience we should keep it live until we more fully understand the issue (as our understanding is likely to lag behind our abilities in this domain)
  6. 02 Mar '08 21:26
    And what's intelligence? Is a dolphin or a chimpanzee intelligent?
  7. Standard member agryson
    AGW Hitman
    02 Mar '08 21:30
    Originally posted by serigado
    And what's intelligence? Is a dolphin or a chimpanzee intelligent?
    Like I said, our understanding of the issue is limited at the moment. But I make a distinction between intelligence and sentience. From what I know, sentience is seen as an emergent property, and so the sentience of a dolphin or a chimp would be "less" than ours, but certainly existent.
    I can't claim to be an expert on it though, so to say more would be nothing more than opinion.