1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jun '13 00:05
    Is there anything you can do about the fact that the moon has 1/6th Earth gravity when say a hundred years or two from now, you have cities on the moon and you want to play basketball or tennis or baseball. What would the courts look like? How would the games differ from Earthy versions? Like in tennis, you whack the ball and it won't be curved back to the ground like on Earth, not nearly as much curvature but you can hit it just as hard so the shots will be more straight lines. How will that change the game? And the same question about basketball, ballistic curves will be a lot shallower so to get a basket, how would the players have to adjust? Wouldn't it mean, for instance, that a pro team coming from Earth could play an amateur team on the moon and not overwhelm the amateurs? Shooting the balls way to hard and so forth, same in tennis.

One idea I have would be to have magnetically responsive balls, light weight of course but huge controlled electromagnets in the sub floor that would cause the balls to have flight trajectories similar to what it would do on Earth, a kind of artificial gravity. Of course it would not effect the players who would be for the most part non-magnetic. Would it even be possible to build such a stadium using powerful electromagnets? One thing for sure, you wouldn't want to take your credit card to the games....
  2. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jun '13 21:30
    I would suggest one could play squash instead. You'd need to be inside in a bunker anyway to protect against radiation.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jun '13 23:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I would suggest one could play squash instead. You'd need to be inside in a bunker anyway to protect against radiation.
    I would think any city on the moon would be buried a hundred feet deep. I thought about squash, the ball goes so fast it is running in more or less a straight line and you could probably play that game in zero gravity. But tennis?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree