1. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 17:17
    OK, enough of the pseudo-religious claptrap, here's some real science.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Planck/Planck_reveals_an_almost_perfect_Universe

Apparently the big bang theory is confirmed but the scale and nature of the anomalies in the CMB detected may rule out the currently accepted inflation scenario, there is less dark energy and more matter of various types than previously thought and the universe is about 50 million years older than the previous best estimate. Looks like some theories will need rejigging.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 18:52
    I haven’t got sufficient patients to do the research and work this out for myself but I wonder if Laura's thrum of the cosmos explains this anomalous data?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Mersini-Houghton
  3. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 19:50
    Originally posted by humy
    I haven’t got sufficient patients to do the research and work this out for myself but I wonder if Laura's thrum of the cosmos explains this anomalous data?

It is certainly one of the theories that explains the data well. I'd say that it is the best match I know of but that means little as I haven't seen them all!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 10:591 edit
    Originally posted by humy

Your'e a doctor?🙂 Seriously, two new words, totally not understood: Homology and Landscape, anyone have any layman explanations for those terms?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 11:074 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Your'e a doctor?🙂
    oh god I am slow -yes, I get it now. I said "I haven’t got sufficient patients to do the research" 🙂
    I think if I only had just one more million patients then I would have enough of them to start experimenting on them to do the research.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 13:54
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Your'e a doctor?🙂 Seriously, two new words, totally not understood: Homology and Landscape, anyone have any layman explanations for those terms?
    OK, homology first.

Homology (in part from Greek ὁμός homos "identical"😉 is a certain general procedure to associate a sequence of abelian groups or modules with a given mathematical object such as a topological space or a group.

That's from Wikipedia. The rest of the page made my ears bleed so I stopped looking. There is also a thing called a cohomolgy which is ummm, yeah, one of them things. Plenty easy to understand stuff on biological homologies (similarity apparently) but the mathematical thing is best described as opaque.

The landscape is easier to understand. There are many configurations allowed by string theory that are not minimum energy states and therefore unstable. Many of those unstable sectors of space are able to exist for considerable periods of time because they are cut off from the ground state by a barrier of higher energy states. The local minimum is unable to transition to the true minimum without some input to initiate that transition. The landscape refers to all those metastable configurations that can exist. Some of those configurations will have physical laws similar to our universe and at least one hopefully has identical physical laws to our universe. So our universe might be just one of a whole landscape of long lived but ultimately unstable bits of space. One day we might wake and discover we aren't here anymore!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree