1. Standard memberWheely
    Instant Buzz
    C#minor
    Moves
    09 Jul '08 08:19
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    As far as I can tell (and believe me, that's not very far at all), gravity is the problem surrounding black holes... excuse the pun.

If matter is that heavy it's sucking everything in, including light, then that means a black hole will get bigger and bigger at an ever increasing rate... infinately. Meaning that we'd all have been sucked in by now.

...[text shortened]... r a short vacation in Geneva at the end of July though... so it's not all bad news (CERN).
    Much as a short break in Geneva would do me the world of good right now, I think I can safely put it off for a while. Those mini black holes we keep hearing about are not going to get me there faster I fear. If it is possible to create them in this accelerator then they are being created around us all the time anyway.

The power of black holes to suck in stuff is not infinite fortunately. Gravity is a weak force and you only have to be standing a little way away from the black hole (astronomically speaking) to avoid having a really bad day.

Once a black hole as gobbled up its immediate surroundings it would seem that it will then get smaller due to this infamous and un-proven Hawking radiation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree