Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 31 Jul '17 12:25 / 1 edit
    "Many of these cognitive differences appear quite early in life. “You see sex differences in spatial-visualization ability in 2- and 3-month-old infants,” Halpern says. Infant girls respond more readily to faces and begin talking earlier. Boys react earlier in infancy to experimentally induced perceptual discrepancies in their visual environment. In adulthood, women remain more oriented to faces, men to things.

    All these measured differences are averages derived from pooling widely varying individual results. While statistically significant, the differences tend not to be gigantic. They are most noticeable at the extremes of a bell curve, rather than in the middle, where most people cluster. Some argue that we may safely ignore them."


    https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2017spring/how-mens-and-womens-brains-are-different.html


    Where do we find GMs? In the middle of the bell curve or at the extreme? Science is finding that differences in male brains and female brains exist. Male brains are better suited for chess.
  2. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    01 Aug '17 10:37
    Originally posted by @eladar
    "Many of these cognitive differences appear quite early in life. “You see sex differences in spatial-visualization ability in 2- and 3-month-old infants,” Halpern says. Infant girls respond more readily to faces and begin talking earlier. Boys react earlier in infancy to experimentally induced perceptual discrepancies in their visual environment. In adulthoo ...[text shortened]... hat differences in male brains and female brains exist. Male brains are better suited for chess.
    It is never safe to ignore a woman! 😉

    My wife is a neuro-radiologist; she looks at brain scans every day. I shall ask her about this. I don't doubt that men and women are different above the lip as well as below the belt. I expect that the basic physical structures are identical; the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.
  3. 01 Aug '17 14:58
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    It is never safe to ignore a woman! 😉

    My wife is a neuro-radiologist; she looks at brain scans every day. I shall ask her about this. I don't doubt that men and women are different above the lip as well as below the belt. I expect that the basic physical structures are identical; the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.
    The article says that men and women use the brain differently. There may be general physical differences, but the article was more about what parts of the brain are used.
  4. 01 Aug '17 16:47
    http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/nov04/vol62/num03/With-Boys-and-Girls-in-Mind.aspx
  5. Standard member lemon lime
    go phish
    01 Aug '17 17:31
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    It is never safe to ignore a woman! 😉

    My wife is a neuro-radiologist; she looks at brain scans every day. I shall ask her about this. I don't doubt that men and women are different above the lip as well as below the belt. I expect that the basic physical structures are identical; the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.
    the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.

    There are more 'phone lines' connecting the two sides of the brain in women than there are in men.
  6. 01 Aug '17 17:36 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.

    There are more 'phone lines' connecting the two sides of the brain in women than there are in men.[/b]
    This makes the brain function differently.

    So there is a physical reason why girls are better at English and reading while boys are better at math and stem fields.

    It has been my experience people generally like what they are good at and naturally more talented.

    It also answers this question

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/mad-friday-the-imbalance-between-male-and-female-cab-drivers-a6777566.html%3famp

    Male brains are better equipped to pass the taxi test.
  7. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    01 Aug '17 17:41
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.

    There are more 'phone lines' connecting the two sides of the brain in women than there are in men.[/b]
    That might explain why women tend to multi-task better than men.
  8. 01 Aug '17 17:42
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    That might explain why women tend to multi-task better than men.
    You may have missed my edit.

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/mad-friday-the-imbalance-between-male-and-female-cab-drivers-a6777566.html%3famp

    Why? The male brain is better structured to pass the taxi test.
  9. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    02 Aug '17 10:19
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You may have missed my edit.

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/mad-friday-the-imbalance-between-male-and-female-cab-drivers-a6777566.html%3famp

    Why? The male brain is better structured to pass the taxi test.
    Maybe the taxi test was designed by men to make it easy for men to pass it.
  10. 02 Aug '17 15:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Maybe the taxi test was designed by men to make it easy for men to pass it.
    Yes,it was a conspiracy. Do you know what is being tested?

    Btw, your response is a typical one for one emmersed in liberal ideology.
  11. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    02 Aug '17 18:58
    You know nothing of my ideology.
  12. 02 Aug '17 19:04
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    You know nothing of my ideology.
    I just said it was typical for those who have hold liberal ideology. You may not hold such views, but it is consistent with those who do.

    If males are more suited for the test, it must have intentionally been done to prevent women from getting the job.

    You have not answered my question, what is the test? Why would such a test be considered necessary?
  13. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    02 Aug '17 22:36
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If males are more suited for the test,
    it must have intentionally been done to prevent women from getting the job.

    No. There is no logic to that.
    Why couldn't the test inadvertently favour men?
  14. 02 Aug '17 22:41
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    No. There is no logic to that.
    Why couldn't the test inadvertently favour men?
    Designed by men to make it easy for men to pass it. This means it was created with the intention of making it easy for men, not inadvertently.

    In any case, do you know what the test is? Do you know why they created it?
  15. 02 Aug '17 22:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The article says that men and women use the brain differently. There may be general physical differences, but the article was more about what parts of the brain are used.
    And then there was Brucett Jenner................