1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 12:251 edit
    "Many of these cognitive differences appear quite early in life. “You see sex differences in spatial-visualization ability in 2- and 3-month-old infants,” Halpern says. Infant girls respond more readily to faces and begin talking earlier. Boys react earlier in infancy to experimentally induced perceptual discrepancies in their visual environment. In adulthood, women remain more oriented to faces, men to things.

All these measured differences are averages derived from pooling widely varying individual results. While statistically significant, the differences tend not to be gigantic. They are most noticeable at the extremes of a bell curve, rather than in the middle, where most people cluster. Some argue that we may safely ignore them."

https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2017spring/how-mens-and-womens-brains-are-different.html

Where do we find GMs? In the middle of the bell curve or at the extreme? Science is finding that differences in male brains and female brains exist. Male brains are better suited for chess.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 10:37
    Originally posted by @eladar
    "Many of these cognitive differences appear quite early in life. “You see sex differences in spatial-visualization ability in 2- and 3-month-old infants,” Halpern says. Infant girls respond more readily to faces and begin talking earlier. Boys react earlier in infancy to experimentally induced perceptual discrepancies in their visual environment. In adulthoo ...[text shortened]... hat differences in male brains and female brains exist. Male brains are better suited for chess.
    It is never safe to ignore a woman! 😉

My wife is a neuro-radiologist; she looks at brain scans every day. I shall ask her about this. I don't doubt that men and women are different above the lip as well as below the belt. I expect that the basic physical structures are identical; the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 14:58
    Originally posted by @moonbus

My wife is a neuro-radiologist; she looks at brain scans every day. I shall ask her about this. I don't doubt that men and women are different above the lip as well as below the belt. I expect that the basic physical structures are identical; the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.
    The article says that men and women use the brain differently. There may be general physical differences, but the article was more about what parts of the brain are used.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 16:47
    http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/nov04/vol62/num03/With-Boys-and-Girls-in-Mind.aspx
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 17:31

the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.

There are more 'phone lines' connecting the two sides of the brain in women than there are in men.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 17:363 edits
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.

There are more 'phone lines' connecting the two sides of the brain in women than there are in men.[/b]
    This makes the brain function differently.

So there is a physical reason why girls are better at English and reading while boys are better at math and stem fields.

It has been my experience people generally like what they are good at and naturally more talented.

It also answers this question

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/mad-friday-the-imbalance-between-male-and-female-cab-drivers-a6777566.html%3famp

Male brains are better equipped to pass the taxi test.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 17:41
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    [b]the differences are all in the ways the synapses are connected up.

There are more 'phone lines' connecting the two sides of the brain in women than there are in men.[/b]
    That might explain why women tend to multi-task better than men.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 17:42
    That might explain why women tend to multi-task better than men.
    You may have missed my edit.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/mad-friday-the-imbalance-between-male-and-female-cab-drivers-a6777566.html%3famp

Why? The male brain is better structured to pass the taxi test.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 10:19
    You may have missed my edit.

Why? The male brain is better structured to pass the taxi test.
    Maybe the taxi test was designed by men to make it easy for men to pass it.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 15:031 edit
    Maybe the taxi test was designed by men to make it easy for men to pass it.
    Yes,it was a conspiracy. Do you know what is being tested?

Btw, your response is a typical one for one emmersed in liberal ideology.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 18:58
    You know nothing of my ideology.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 19:04
    You know nothing of my ideology.
    I just said it was typical for those who have hold liberal ideology. You may not hold such views, but it is consistent with those who do.

If males are more suited for the test, it must have intentionally been done to prevent women from getting the job.

You have not answered my question, what is the test? Why would such a test be considered necessary?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 22:36
    If males are more suited for the test,
    it must have intentionally been done to prevent women from getting the job.

No. There is no logic to that.
    Why couldn't the test inadvertently favour men?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 22:41
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    No. There is no logic to that.
    Why couldn't the test inadvertently favour men?
    Designed by men to make it easy for men to pass it. This means it was created with the intention of making it easy for men, not inadvertently.

In any case, do you know what the test is? Do you know why they created it?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 22:551 edit
    The article says that men and women use the brain differently. There may be general physical differences, but the article was more about what parts of the brain are used.
    And then there was Brucett Jenner................

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree