Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Mar '15 15:10
    http://phys.org/news/2015-03-buckybomb-potential-power-nanoscale-explosives.html

    I wonder if this could be useful as an anti-cancer treatment, if you could keep it to one or two molecules embedded inside a tumor, heat it with a fast microwave beam or something. Seems like it would have a devastating effect on any cells in the vicinity.
  2. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    07 Mar '15 04:07
    I doubt that that would work, the microwaves would have such a destructive effect on tissues that you may as well do without the buckybombs. The military applications are obvious. It's a high energy explosive, combined with a standard detonator, or possibly even just a spark, you can produce miniaturized high explosives. A 50 mm rifle round with as much effect as an artillery shell. Although, in fairness, that can have civilian applications as well.
  3. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    07 Mar '15 04:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I doubt that that would work, the microwaves would have such a destructive effect on tissues that you may as well do without the buckybombs. The military applications are obvious. It's a high energy explosive, combined with a standard detonator, or possibly even just a spark, you can produce miniaturized high explosives. A 50 mm rifle round with as mu ...[text shortened]... fect as an artillery shell. Although, in fairness, that can have civilian applications as well.
    The first thing I thought of when reading the article, and military implications, was bullets. Imagine a small bullet that can take out a tank... ... and then think of the following machine-guns that can fire thousands of rounds of these things per second. The onslaught is frightening, and the man-power needed is little. In the hands of Delta or the SAS.. a few units could wipe out a complete army using such.

    -m.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    07 Mar '15 18:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    The first thing I thought of when reading the article, and military implications, was bullets. Imagine a small bullet that can take out a tank... ... and then think of the following machine-guns that can fire thousands of rounds of these things per second. The onslaught is frightening, and the man-power needed is little. In the hands of Delta or the SAS.. a few units could wipe out a complete army using such.

    -m.
    I'm sure the military uppers are drooling at the mouth to develop just that.

    "Mr. President, just THINK of how many people we can kill with that weapon".......
  5. 08 Mar '15 16:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'm sure the military uppers are drooling at the mouth to develop just that.

    "Mr. President, just THINK of how many people we can kill with that weapon".......
    Yes, I fear you're right. ABC weapons are banned - now the CIA will push for the non-banning of N-weapons.