1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 15:10
    http://phys.org/news/2015-03-buckybomb-potential-power-nanoscale-explosives.html

I wonder if this could be useful as an anti-cancer treatment, if you could keep it to one or two molecules embedded inside a tumor, heat it with a fast microwave beam or something. Seems like it would have a devastating effect on any cells in the vicinity.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 04:07
    I doubt that that would work, the microwaves would have such a destructive effect on tissues that you may as well do without the buckybombs. The military applications are obvious. It's a high energy explosive, combined with a standard detonator, or possibly even just a spark, you can produce miniaturized high explosives. A 50 mm rifle round with as much effect as an artillery shell. Although, in fairness, that can have civilian applications as well.
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 04:301 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I doubt that that would work, the microwaves would have such a destructive effect on tissues that you may as well do without the buckybombs. The military applications are obvious. It's a high energy explosive, combined with a standard detonator, or possibly even just a spark, you can produce miniaturized high explosives. A 50 mm rifle round with as mu ...[text shortened]... fect as an artillery shell. Although, in fairness, that can have civilian applications as well.
    The first thing I thought of when reading the article, and military implications, was bullets. Imagine a small bullet that can take out a tank... 😲 ... and then think of the following machine-guns that can fire thousands of rounds of these things per second. The onslaught is frightening, and the man-power needed is little. In the hands of Delta or the SAS.. a few units could wipe out a complete army using such. 🙄

-m.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Mar '15 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    The first thing I thought of when reading the article, and military implications, was bullets. Imagine a small bullet that can take out a tank... 😲 ... and then think of the following machine-guns that can fire thousands of rounds of these things per second. The onslaught is frightening, and the man-power needed is little. In the hands of Delta or the SAS.. a few units could wipe out a complete army using such. 🙄

-m.
    I'm sure the military uppers are drooling at the mouth to develop just that.

"Mr. President, just THINK of how many people we can kill with that weapon".......
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '15 16:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'm sure the military uppers are drooling at the mouth to develop just that.

"Mr. President, just THINK of how many people we can kill with that weapon".......
    Yes, I fear you're right. ABC weapons are banned - now the CIA will push for the non-banning of N-weapons.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree