1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:361 edit
    Originally posted by @humy
    1. No known boundaries:

So just estimate the mass of the observable universe; problem solved.
    Black holes: Calculating the mass of a large number of vacuums with no known size is impossible without conventional points of reference.

You are talking gibberish. Mass is something that may or may not be contained within ...[text shortened]... massive amount, ...[/quote]
    their estimate is unlikely to be off by a 'massive' amount.
    I apologize deeply for my "gibberish" Please, don't let me stop you from doing your calculations....
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 10:40
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    And you don't?
    Of course I do, but that wasn't his original position.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 12:101 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Of course I do, but that wasn't his original position.
    no, it was never my position that you can calculate the volume of the entire universe i.e. including beyond the observable universe. I challenge you to show where I said the contrary.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 22:27
    no, it was never my position that you can calculate the volume of the entire universe i.e. including beyond the observable universe. I challenge you to show where I said the contrary.
    Isn't this thread about calculating the volume of the Universe?
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 06:221 edit
    Isn't this thread about calculating the volume of the Universe?
    No.
    And if it was, it would be about estimating the volume of only the observable universe.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 09:25
    No.
    And if it was, it would be about estimating the volume of only the observable universe.
    It says the mass of the universe. The universe is the universe, not the known universe. Do you think the universe is only the known universe?
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 10:154 edits
    It says the mass of the universe. The universe is the universe, not the known universe. Do you think the universe is only the known universe?
    "observable universe" ≠ "entire universe"

and

"our universe" ≠ "all universes"

For obvious reasons, when physicists talk about "estimating the mass of the universe", they always mean the observable universe else that wouldn't make any sense as they all KNOW we don't know the size of the entire universe (as in including beyond the observable) thus, without that critical piece of info of size, cannot possibly estimate its mass. This is obvious.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 10:271 edit
    "observable universe" ≠ "entire universe"

and

"our universe" ≠ "all universes"
    The distinction of ours vs all was made.

The distinction between known and entire was not.

But it is OK, I was asking for clarification and you gave it. You gave ot in a defensive rrsponse, but it was there.
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 10:343 edits

The distinction between known and entire was not.
    the "entire universe", unless that is said as "entire observable universe", is generally by default meant to mean all the parts of it we can observe plus all the parts of it we cannot. I have observed cosmologists usually using the term in that way.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 10:46
    the "entire universe", unless that is said as "entire observable universe", is generally by default meant to mean all the parts of it we can observe plus all the parts of it we cannot. I have observed cosmologists usually using the term in that way.
    So default is a faulty statement. I understand. We just pretend in science. Got it.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 19:48
    So default is a faulty statement. I understand. We just pretend in science. Got it.
    If by 'we' you mean creationists, the you're right. You and alike just pretend science.
    Intelligent design is just such pretending, mimicking science.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 20:081 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Here is a professional astronomer, Phd, what he said:
    "What is the mass of the Universe? (Intermediate)
    What is the mass of the Universe? Also how can you prove that this is the true mass of the Universe?

As nobody knows the size of the universe, one cannot really talk about the mass of the universe, though one can talk about the mass of the observabl ...[text shortened]... t the observable universe. And I think he didn't take into account dark matter, not sure though.
    We know that our universe is *not* infinite in size, right? We know what the mean density of the universe that we see, right? And we know that the universe has a diameter of at least 93 billion light years, then we know the minimum limit of how much mass there is in the universe.

Thomas Pilgaard says:
    "... the 46 billion light years figure is the current radius of the observable universe (giving it a diameter of ~93 billion light years). 46 billion light years in either direction are objects that are currently at that distance of 46 billion light years away, but whose light has just reached us after being emitted 13.8 billion years ago."

Frank Heile, Ph.D. in Physics from Stanford University says
    "So, the diameter of 93 billion light years is, at most, a theoretical estimate of the current distance of all the matter that we can NOW see, even if the light we see is 13.8 billion years old."

This is what we know now. I'm sure that we will eventually find out the magnitude of the inflation just after t=0, so the true size of our universe is not at all unknowable, if you ask me.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 23:00
    If by 'we' you mean creationists, the you're right. You and alike just pretend science.
    Intelligent design is just such pretending, mimicking science.
    Having a rough day?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 23:04
    We know that our universe is *not* infinite in size, right? We know what the mean density of the universe that we see, right? And we know that the universe has a diameter of at least 93 billion light years, then we know the minimum limit of how much mass there is in the universe.

Thomas Pilgaard says:
    "... the 46 billion light years figure is the cur ...[text shortened]... lation just after t=0, so the true size of our universe is not at all unknowable, if you ask me.
    Is there a reason the universe can't be infinite?
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '17 04:31
    Is there a reason the universe can't be infinite?
    Because from the beginning the universe wasn't infinite, but a point. It was finite right after t=0.
    If it would be infinite today, then it has, in one point in time, gone from being finite to being infinite. When would that be? See the logical flaw here?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree