1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 14:411 edit
    Its a habit of mine that I don't 'calorie count' i will happily eat a pack of biscuits. But I do calorie count vitamin C and aim for about twice the RDA - If I'm skint I buy it as pills -

There are arguments - not conclusive that taking a lot 1000mg could have benefits> i know there are a few scientists who eat it by the teaspoon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C_megadosage

Do you count your vitamins?
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 14:44
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Its a habit of mine that I don't 'calorie count' i will happilly eat a pack of biscuits. But I do calorie count vitamin C and aim for about twice the RDA - If I'm skint I buy it as pills -

There are arguments - not conclusive that taking a lot 1000mg could have benefits> i know there are a few scientists who eat it by the teaspoon

Nope, nor am I about to start.
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 14:46
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Nope, nor am I about to start.
    eat your greens!
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 14:50
    Here is George Bush Snr on the subject 🙂

YouTube
  5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 16:14
    eat your greens!
    I do, don't mean I am going to count them though.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 16:17
    Here is George Bush Snr on the subject 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2fLjcC-weQ
    As fine an idiot as you could hope to find. Unless you are going to wheel out Ronald Reagan now? I still see no reason to count my vitamin C. Provided I don't have scurvy I think it unlikely I am getting insufficient vitamin C.
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 16:322 edits
    As fine an idiot as you could hope to find. Unless you are going to wheel out Ronald Reagan now? I still see no reason to count my vitamin C. Provided I don't have scurvy I think it unlikely I am getting insufficient vitamin C.
    Do you smoke?

I do, and i read somewhere that smokers should take about 5 times the RDA as it zaps vitamin c and other antioxidants from the blood .(watercress is also supposed to be very good for that )
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 17:14
    Did you watch the video? hate to say but the 'idiot' agrees with you, not me 🙂
  9. Germany
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 17:21
    Vitamin C is a very common vitamin that is easy to get through a host of vegetables and fruits. It's also frequently used as a food preservative (look for "ascorbic acid" on your food packaging). It's highly unlikely you will need any supplements or that they will have any benefit.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 20:13
    Its a habit of mine that I don't 'calorie count' i will happily eat a pack of biscuits. But I do calorie count vitamin C and aim for about twice the RDA - If I'm skint I buy it as pills -

Vitamin C is surely the most easily acquired vitamin in a normal diet.
    (Try and eat less than your RDA one day!)

Pills are for idiots.

If you want massive vitamin C hits eat fruit & veg.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 00:313 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Vitamin C is surely the most easily acquired vitamin in a normal diet.
    (Try and eat less than your RDA one day!)

Pills are for idiots.

If you want massive vitamin C hits eat fruit & veg.
    I think thats true yes, the thing about vitamin c is the chemicals that surround it in fruit and veg are as good / better then the vitamin c, esp watercress - although you do need a consistent level of c in your diet to be healthy - a lot of people don't do that.

re pills, on the whole i agree cod liver oil maybe . but if you are on benefits £57 a week, to an extent you are priced out of a lot of its sources, even more so if you smoke. in that case pills - 37p a pack at the last check are quite good.
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 14:17
    Some might see this thread as obvioius maybe patronising . sorry if thats the case. But there are a few chemists who think this is the key to eternal youth! they believe in it that much -'megadose' . so its noteworthy
  13. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 16:30
    I think thats true yes, the thing about vitamin c is the chemicals that surround it in fruit and veg are as good / better then the vitamin c, esp watercress - although you do need a consistent level of c in your diet to be healthy - a lot of people don't do that.

re pills, on the whole i agree cod liver oil maybe . but if you are on benefits £57 a week, t ...[text shortened]... s, even more so if you smoke. in that case pills - 37p a pack at the last check are quite good.
    Here's a suggestion if you are really worried about your health. STOP SMOKING! It will provide greater health benefits than consuming huge amounts of vitamin C, even at only 37p a packet. You will be fitter, healthier and, strangely, wealthier.
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 23:042 edits
    Here's a suggestion if you are really worried about your health. STOP SMOKING! It will provide greater health benefits than consuming huge amounts of vitamin C, even at only 37p a packet. You will be fitter, healthier and, strangely, wealthier.
    OK true but there is this thought with some non smokers that i really don't like that smokers want to get cancer - oh no we will try our best to avoid it! my nan managed to 76 but yes did get cancer but not the lung .. she ate her greens!

edit - re its anti ageing effect, I did study that a bit and its quite well backed up - gerontology is very interesting and does link in with cancer , cancer is 'advanced ageing' in many cases. But one idea is oxygen is the biggest ageing factor, like rust, vitamin c specificaly mops up excess radicals in the blood. Smoking accelerates this process a lot (and seperate from the tar) so you / i need more vitamin c in my diet
  15. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Mar '13 23:13
    OK true but there is this tought with some non smokers that i really don't like that smokers want to get cancer - oh no we will try our best to avoid it! my nan managed to 76 but yes did get cancer but not the lung .. she ate her greens!
    I don't think smokers want to get cancer. I know some try to pretend that the statistical link between cancer and smoking is wrong, presumably to reassure themselves. I was once a smoker and make my comment about health, fitness and wealth based on personal experience. I could still get cancer but I am enjoying my life more since stopping. And I still eat my greens!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree