1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 14:437 edits
    Originally posted by Kepler
    I don't think smokers want to get cancer. I know some try to pretend that the statistical link between cancer and smoking is wrong, presumably to reassure themselves. I was once a smoker and make my comment about health, fitness and wealth based on personal experience. I could still get cancer but I am enjoying my life more since stopping. And I still eat my greens!
    True quitting is good - but it bugs me you never see any constructive advice for smokers, just insults they don't need e.g. mouthwash theres good data to say alcohol based mouthwash is bad for smokers but no publicity on it (other than the daily express 1 paper who like those stories) i bet even the nhs website won't tell you that. but post insulting adds they will!
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 15:59
    Originally posted by e4chris
    True quitting is good - but it bugs me you never see any constructive advice for smokers, just insults they don't need e.g. mouthwash theres good data to say alcohol based mouthwash is bad for smokers but no publicity on it (other than the daily express 1 paper who like those stories) i bet even the nhs website won't tell you that. but post insulting adds they will!
    I think you'll find smoking is bad for smokers regardless of the brand of mouthwash used.
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 16:522 edits
    Originally posted by Kepler
    I think you'll find smoking is bad for smokers regardless of the brand of mouthwash used.
    the mouth was increases there chances of oral cancers by about 10 times i think , just a risk they don't need. if you smoke lung cancer is creeping up on you but the others are preventable to some extent
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 17:51
    the mouth was increases there chances of oral cancers by about 10 times i think , just a risk they don't need. if you smoke lung cancer is creeping up on you but the others are preventable to some extent
    Alcohol apparently increase the risk of oral cancer anyway so probably we should all stay away from the alcoholic mouthwash.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Mar '13 19:542 edits
    I read somewhere that people that take take huge amounts of vitamin C tablets or any of those anti-oxidant vitamin tablets such as vitamin A actually have shortened lives as a direct result of this. This can be easily explained;
    Evidence shows that the free-radical-theory is far too simplistic and, strangely, doesn't appear to apply to human biology in the same way as it does to lab-rat biology so you can forget about extrapolating from those lab-rat experiments that appeared to indicate that being given lots of extra vitamins makes you live longer.

What is worse is that, because of the way the vitamins are digested when they are in concentrated tablet/pill form, they actually produce MORE free radicals than they neutralize in the body thus, even if the free radical theory it totally correct, even according to the free radical theory, popping down antioxidant pills actually should reduce your life span -which it does! -although not necessarily because the free radical theory it totally correct because it isn't.

(I am back! I was cut-off the internet for a while due to moving to a temporary address that had no land-line or any practical means of internet access)
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 06:08
    From the Harvard School of Public Health website - a direct quote, but the emphasis is my own:

The trials were mixed, but most have not found the hoped-for benefits. Most research teams reported that vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements didn’t protect against heart disease or cancer. One study even showed that taking beta-carotene may actually increase the chances of developing lung cancer in smokers. On the other hand, some trials reported benefits; for example, after 18 years of follow-up, the Physicians’ Health Study found that taking beta-carotene was associated with a modest reduction in the rate of cognitive decline. (1)

These mostly disappointing results haven’t stopped food companies and supplement sellers from banking on antioxidants. Indeed, antioxidant supplements represent a $500 million dollar industry that continues to grow. Antioxidants are still added to breakfast cereals, sports bars, energy drinks, and other processed foods, and they are promoted as additives that can prevent heart disease, cancer, cataracts, memory loss, and a host of other conditions.

Often the claims have stretched and distorted the data.
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Mar '13 07:011 edit
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    From the Harvard School of Public Health website - a direct quote, but the emphasis is my own:

The trials were mixed, but most have not found the hoped-for benefits. Most research teams reported that vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements didn’t protect against heart disease or cancer. [b]One study even showed that taking beta-carotene may actually in ...[text shortened]... , and a host of other conditions.

[/b]
    That it terrible!
    There should be several documentaries on TV repeatedly shown throughout the world that expose this scam and also the cholesterol-scam (cholesterol doesn't cause hard disease) so that all people are are educated and informed by these food scams and no longer fooled, cheated and harmed by the food marketeers.
    Also, wherever there is direct evidence of misinformation from food marketeers harming peoples health, the food marketeers must be made to pay massive fines or some other type of punishment. There should be a law against food marketeers giving misinformation to sell their products and those laws should be enforced with a crackdown.
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 05:282 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie

The trials were mixed, but most have not found the hoped-for benefits. Most research teams reported that vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements didn’t protect against heart disease or cancer. One study even showed that taking beta-carotene may actually in loss, and a host of other conditions.

Whats noticable about vitamin c is every human population everywhere has to have a supply of it and they instinctively seek it out - Eskimos hunt narwals as there skin has vitamin c - no one told them it does! but its there only source -
  9. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    31 Mar '13 07:342 edits
    Whats noticable about vitamin c is every human population everywhere has to have a supply of it and they instinctively seek it out - Eskimos hunt narwals as there skin has vitamin c - no one told them it does! but its there only source -
    I am not saying the conclusion is wrong but you might be jumping to conclusions a bit where you think “ they instinctively seek it out”
    -from the premise of “Eskimos hunt narwhals as there skin has vitamin c - no one told them it does! but its their only source “ (spelling corrected) ;
    Yes, nobody “told them”, and they wouldn't have known what vitamin C is, but, although I cannot rule out the possibility that evolution gave them an instinct to pacifically eat narwhals skin (this would at least make a lot of sense because those that didn't eat it would have certainly been eliminated from the gene pool by natural selection!), thousands of years ago, they wouldn't have needed to know what vitamin C is to have noticed that those amongst their population that don't ever eat narwhals skin get sick and die! After noticing that, it would became part of their culture to eat it and, if any of them defied that culture by stopped eating it, natural selection would have eliminated those ones thus preserving that culture.
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 21:40
    Originally posted by humy
    I am not saying the conclusion is wrong but you might be jumping to conclusions a bit where you think “ they instinctively seek it out”
    -from the premise of “Eskimos hunt narwhals as there skin has vitamin c - no one told them it does! but its their only source “ (spelling corrected) ;
    Yes, nobody “told them”, and they wouldn't have known what vitamin ...[text shortened]... eating it, natural selection would have eliminated those ones thus preserving that culture.
    i think we can taste it to some extent, vit c foods usually are a bit acidic, maybe thats how they spotted / tasted it in the narwhals, I find sometimes i crave fruit juice. think most people do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree