1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 11:48
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I agree totally. The spiritual ones are constantly trying to make the Science Forum to a spiritual forum. This thread is their latest try. And we constantly fall into their trap. We discuss YEC "science".

"Spiritual science" should be discussed in the Spiritual Forum and there alone.

Don't feed the spiritual trolls.
    Which is why I put this question to the so-called spiritual forum.
    "How can YEC's ignore all the data of the true age of Earth'.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '14 07:21
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Which is why I put this question to the so-called spiritual forum.
    "How can YEC's ignore all the data of the true age of Earth'.
    The more you feed the spiritual trolls here in Science Forum, the more they will be attracted to the Science Forum. Is it this we want?

If you ask YEC scientific questions, they will answer with spiritual answers.

Stop feeding the trolls here. Go discuss with the YECers at the Spiritual Forum, because it's there they belong.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 13:08
    The more you feed the spiritual trolls here in Science Forum, the more they will be attracted to the Science Forum. Is it this we want?

If you ask YEC scientific questions, they will answer with spiritual answers.

Stop feeding the trolls here. Go discuss with the YECers at the Spiritual Forum, because it's there they belong.
    That's where I went with it.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 21:05
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    http://www.raptureforums.com/CreationVsEvolution/ageoftheearth.cfm

101 evidences for a young age of the earth and the universe
    By Don Batten
    Published: 4 June 2009(GMT+10)

Some examples:

Human history is consistent with a young age of the earth

96. Human population growth. Less than 0.5% p.a. growth from six people 4,500 years ago would produce ...[text shortened]... ked out much sooner how to sow seeds of plants to produce food. See: Evidence for a young world.
    There is no way for science to prove the age of the earth, because that relates to history, not science. We need recorded history to determine age. So as you point out, we have no recorded history that goes back more than 6,000 years at most. All scientists can do is speculate based on their assumptions. And to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME.
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 00:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no way for science to prove the age of the earth, because that relates to history, not science. We need recorded history to determine age. So as you point out, we have no recorded history that goes back more than 6,000 years at most. All scientists can do is speculate based on their assumptions. And to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME.
    Have you ever heard of the Lascaux paintings? Now there's some history for you.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 04:091 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=159726&page=1

What are you doing here? We had a deal, you and me, remember?
    You stay out of Science Forum, and I don't interfere with you in Spiritual Forum.

Your christian deal wasn't much worth, was it?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 13:24
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=159726&page=1

What are you doing here? We had a deal, you and me, remember?
    You stay out of Science Forum, and I don't interfere with you in Spiritual Forum.

Your christian deal wasn't much worth, was it?
    I am quite sure his rational was due to me 'polluting' the spiritual forum with the same question, so he figures he can pollute here as well.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 15:38
    I am quite sure his rational was due to me 'polluting' the spiritual forum with the same question, so he figures he can pollute here as well.
    I am quite sure [RJHinds'] rationale [...]

There's your mistake.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 18:10
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]I am quite sure [RJHinds'] rationale [...]

There's your mistake.[/b]
    Saying Hinds and Rational in the same sentence.....
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 20:211 edit
    You cannot ever trust a christian. When RJHinds cannot be trusted, what christian can?
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 22:28
    Yes, science can determine the age of the earth to within a few hundred million years.

The dating methods for zircon crystals are robust. Based on laboratory tests we can do now, zircon forces lead atoms out of its lattice, but not uranium atoms. Once the zircon has crystalized lead atoms produced by radioactive decay of uranium are trapped in the lattice. This means that any lead present in zircon can only be there because of radioactive decay of uranium atoms after the crystal has been formed. By measuring the ratio of uranium to lead one can estimate the age of the rock. This places a lower bound for the age of the earth at around 4.5 billion years.

I learnt all of that from arguing with YEC's in general and RJHinds in particular. Provided that the forum is not overwhelmed by threads about the Book of Genesis which had become a problem I have no particular problem with RJ posting here.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 04:27
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I learnt all of that from arguing with YEC's in general and RJHinds in particular. Provided that the forum is not overwhelmed by threads about the Book of Genesis which had become a problem I have no particular problem with RJ posting here.
    Anyone who wants to discuss matters in a scientific manner are welcome in the Science Forum. But anyone who use the ultimate argument "God did it that way" and "Says so in Genisis" has no interest whatsoever to discuss things scientifically.

There is already a forum where "God did it that way" and "Says so in Genisis" are good arguments, so why not discuss spiritual matters there?
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 04:58
    Anyone who wants to discuss matters in a scientific manner are welcome in the Science Forum. But anyone who use the ultimate argument "God did it that way" and "Says so in Genisis" has no interest whatsoever to discuss things scientifically.

There is already a forum where "God did it that way" and "Says so in Genisis" are good arguments, so why not discuss spiritual matters there?
    In fairness to RJ he did more than just say "God did it", he argued against well established scientific tools. Frankly if it was just one thread it wouldn't have been a problem, but he'd start one thread every couple of days and it was almost impossible to discuss anything else. Besides, over in spirituality I'm basically saying nothing different in sonhouse's thread than I would here.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 07:32
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    In fairness to RJ he did more than just say "God did it", he argued against well established scientific tools. Frankly if it was just one thread it wouldn't have been a problem, but he'd start one thread every couple of days and it was almost impossible to discuss anything else. Besides, over in spirituality I'm basically saying nothing different in sonhouse's thread than I would here.
    You're right. That is why we made a deal, RJHinds and myself, that if I didn't ruined his thread in Spiritual Forum, then he in return would keep off Science Forum.

I'm sure he made a mistake, like thinking he was in the Spiritual and felt an urge to give a comment, too late realizing that he in fact was in the Science Forum. I reminded him about his violation about our deal, and haven't been seen here after that. So his honour is restored in this respect. A humble 'sorry' would be appreciated, but as long his intention is clean, then I don't have much more to say about the matter.

What he writes in Spiritual Forum, I don't have any problems with. That's my part of the deal that I honour.

What sonhouse is doing is not of my business, as long as he does not provoke religious fundamentalists to enter here and make their anti-science propaganda in our Science Forum. The atmosphere in our Forum is much friendlier without a spiritual debate.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 13:39
    You're right. That is why we made a deal, RJHinds and myself, that if I didn't ruined his thread in Spiritual Forum, then he in return would keep off Science Forum.

I'm sure he made a mistake, like thinking he was in the Spiritual and felt an urge to give a comment, too late realizing that he in fact was in the Science Forum. I reminded him about his v ...[text shortened]... in our Science Forum. The atmosphere in our Forum is much friendlier without a spiritual debate.
    BTW, here is what I would consider direct evidence of an ancient Earth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagic_sediment

Sediment that accumulates at a rate of less than half a Cm per 1000 years! And the deposits are miles deep in some places.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree