1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '09 12:43
    Originally posted by clearlight
    One of the slippery tactics employed by believers in a creator God is not to give any exact definition of what God is. This is because it is easy to refute the existense of God once we know what God is supposed to be - so they dont give any definitions other than unverifiable woolly mumbo-jumbo.

Another fault is failure to respond to refutations such a ...[text shortened]... as proof for god's existense but will be considered as proof of a lack of critical awareness.
    God cannot ever be proven scientifically.
    Those who says so doesn't understand science, or doesn't understand religion.
    Science and religion cannot ever be mixed.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 08:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    God cannot ever be proven scientifically.
    Those who says so doesn't understand science, or doesn't understand religion.
    Science and religion cannot ever be mixed.
    I disagree. A scientific view point should lead you to believe that if God does exist then there should be scientific evidence for him. But maybe you believe that religion is self delusion in which case I might agree with you.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 08:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree. A scientific view point should lead you to believe that if God does exist then there should be scientific evidence for him. But maybe you believe that religion is self delusion in which case I might agree with you.
    "If god exists then..." is the same kind of asssumption as "If you travel with a speed faster than that of light, then...".
    If you assume something unscientific, then every statement following cannot be right or wrong, just undefined.
    The existance of god isn't a part of science, because it assumes that natural laws can be broken, therefore not scientific.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 14:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What do you think you'd see for scientific evidence if God were real?
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 15:34
    "If god exists then..." is the same kind of asssumption as "If you travel with a speed faster than that of light, then...".
    If you assume something unscientific, then every statement following cannot be right or wrong, just undefined.
    The existance of god isn't a part of science, because it assumes that natural laws can be broken, therefore not scientific.
    Hey FF, hope you are OK, high and kicking!

The case as posed by clearlight is related to the existence of probable philosophical theories and scientific facts and evidence pointing towards the existence of an entity which the religious people tend to call "god".

If there were such facts and evidence I would accept asap the existence of such an entity. If this entity was presented like, say, the force of gravity but with utmost conceptual awareness, and if its effects in the physical world were measurable the way the effects of gravity are, and if it was possible to prove that the "attitude" and the results caused by the force of the gravity were self imposed consiously and according to the will of this "Divine Gravity", which by the way is eager to be worshiped by the Human the way the Christians/ Muslims et al pose it, then yeap, I would accept that "god" exists (although I am not sure if I would like to worship such an entity regardless of its intelligence and its force).

In that case, the fact that the "Divine Gravity" distorts at will specific physical phenomena, it would necessarily mean that the natural laws could be broken solely by means of a "miracle".
    Or have we to assume that the distortions caused by the black holes are anyway "miracles" that they are breaking the natural laws, and that the gravity itself as we know it is just one of the countless footprints of the existence of God?
    😵
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 15:41
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Hey FF, hope you are OK, high and kicking!

The case as posed by clearlight is related to the existence of probable philosophical theories and scientific facts and evidence pointing towards the existence of an entity which the religious people tend to call "god".

If there were such facts and evidence I would accept asap the existence of such an ent ...[text shortened]... as we know it is just one of the countless footprints of the existence of God?
    😵
    What god are we talking about? The one who inspired the scripture, or some magical entity who embodies in, say, gravitation?

We can do experiments with gravitation, but we cannot do it what we ordinarily call god. Therefore I don't like to name gravitation as god.

Science is science. Religion is religion. They cannot ever meet.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 16:05
    What god are we talking about? The one who inspired the scripture, or some magical entity who embodies in, say, gravitation?

We can do experiments with gravitation, but we cannot do it what we ordinarily call god. Therefore I don't like to name gravitation as god.

Science is science. Religion is religion. They cannot ever meet.
    We are talking about the concept of "god" in relation with the basic teleological and/ or cosmological "prove". The cosmological "prove" supposes that the existence of this supernatural entity is based on the cause-effect principle (according to which everything exists because of a specific cause and thus, since it is impossible for everything to exist without cause, then the univerce itself is created because of an unconceivable to the Human cause; and it is created by "god", as the religious people use to claim).

Therefore, according to the cosmological prove, the creation of the universe happened because the Creator had the will and the force to create it, and not because of the influential forces that we monitor by philosophical and scientific means. Of course, the religious people are confident that "god" stands above the cause-effect principle blahblahblahblah (some religionists even claimed that "god" is the cause of the existence of "god", mind you!).

Now, this "god" is supposed to be the agent who inspired and urged the Human to write down her/ his "word" and her/ his so called divine message in the so called holy scriptures, and s/he embodies everything known and unknown, the force of gravity included😵
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 16:12
    Originally posted by black beetle
    We are talking about the concept of "god" in relation with the basic teleological and/ or cosmological "prove". The cosmological "prove" supposes that the existence of this supernatural entity is based on the cause-effect principle (according to which everything exists because of a specific cause and thus, since it is impossible for everything to exist ...[text shortened]... nd s/he embodies everything known and unknown, the force of gravity included😵
    Only to see if I've understood you correctly:
    Do you think the existance of the christian god can be proven?
    If so, can you bring up a scientific experiment to prove his existance?
    Or do you think it's possible to prove there is a god, even if it is not the christian one, like the one god in particular responsible to gravitation?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 16:24
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    God is both a noun and a verb

13Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” 14God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

This means that language is inadequete to describe him. ergo. 'God' is meaningless.
    Our limitations does not give or take away meaning from anything
    let alone God.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 17:511 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Our limitations does not give or take away meaning from anything
    let alone God.
    Kelly
    I once heard that "absence of evidence is usually evidence of absence".

Just something to think about.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 18:02
    Originally posted by dannyUchiha
    I once heard that "absence of evidence is usually evidence of absence".

If you don't know what to look for one way or another exactly how
    would you know real evidence isn't all around you, right in your face,
    and you just simply don't know it, or acknowledge it?

Kelly
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 18:03
    Only to see if I've understood you correctly:
    Do you think the existance of the christian god can be proven?
    If so, can you bring up a scientific experiment to prove his existance?
    Or do you think it's possible to prove there is a god, even if it is not the christian one, like the one god in particular responsible to gravitation?
    Cmon FF, you know I think that the existence of the christian god cannot be proven🙂

But I thought you knew also that our theist friends use to claim that the universe itself and everything known and unknown that is contained within it, visible and invisible alike, are simply the footprints of the "god". This procedure, which imitates Philosopy, along with the religious axioms that they imitate the philosophical axioms, is the object of the well known "science" of Theology😵
  13. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 18:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If you don't know what to look for one way or another exactly how
    would you know real evidence isn't all around you, right in your face,
    and you just simply don't know it, or acknowledge it?

Kelly
    I guess the same can be said the other way around. How do you know it is there, right in your face?

I think it is easier to prove something is NOT there than prove it is. It has become quite clear to me that if God existed (or not), we simply can't tell.

I guess that's why they call it faith, instead of something like "the science of God".😉
  14. Joined
    01 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 18:52
    Originally posted by clearlight
    One of the slippery tactics employed by believers in a creator God is not to give any exact definition of what God is. This is because it is easy to refute the existense of God once we know what God is supposed to be - so they dont give any definitions other than unverifiable woolly mumbo-jumbo.

Another fault is failure to respond to refutations such a ...[text shortened]... as proof for god's existense but will be considered as proof of a lack of critical awareness.
    Evolution rocks dude
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 08:09
    Originally posted by MrMartin
    Evolution rocks dude
    Blitz 2min eliminates cheating but kills the pleasure of thought😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree