1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 17:53
    http://www.theweek.co.uk/73221/scientists-take-very-positive-step-towards-universal-cancer-vaccine
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 20:538 edits
    it said:

"...Pieces of cancer's genetic RNA code were placed into nanoparticles of fat and injected into three patients in the advanced stage of the disease. In response, the immune systems produced cells designed to specifically attack the disease...."

But then, unless I am missing something here, very strangely and critically it doesn't make clear what we obviously all will surely want to really know which is what exactly happened to these 3 patients! Did they die? Or are they still alive? Did the treatment do any apparent good as in shrink tumors or prolong life? Have any of them still got cancer? Were they cured? Or what exactly? Very strange. I hope the reason why the link doesn't say is because all 3 did very badly!
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 06:171 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    I hope the reason why the link doesn't say is because all 3 did very badly!
    misprint, that should have been;

I hope the reason why the link doesn't say isn't because all 3 did very badly!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 06:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.theweek.co.uk/73221/scientists-take-very-positive-step-towards-universal-cancer-vaccine
    Does RNA show on the outside of cells? It doesn't make sense.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 14:415 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Does RNA show on the outside of cells? It doesn't make sense.
    I also was wondering about that. I know that small segments of whatever protein molecules are made in the cell are displayed on the outer membrane so that if any of them come from viral proteins or are from a cancer cell mutated gene then killer T cells can detect them and destroy the cells. This is confirmed at;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytotoxic_T_cell

But note that RNA isn't even mentioned in the above link and RNA isn't protein!

Anyone:

Is RNA in a human cell displayed on its outer surface?
    Or can the immune system somehow detect RNA inside a human cell even when it is not on its outer surface! -if so, how so?
    Or has the editor of the OP link made a massive editorial error and wherever in the OP link it says "RNA" that should have been "antigen"! ? -that would make a lot more sense.
    And does ANYONE know exactly what happened to those 3 cancer patients mentioned in that OP link?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '16 14:56
    Originally posted by humy
    it said:

"...Pieces of cancer's genetic RNA code were placed into nanoparticles of fat and injected into three patients in the advanced stage of the disease. In response, the immune systems produced cells designed to specifically attack the disease...."

But then, unless I am missing something here, very strangely and critically it doesn't make clear what ...[text shortened]... actly? Very strange. I hope the reason why the link doesn't say is because all 3 did very badly!
    Those three patients, presumably humans, had advanced cancer and probably fell into the catagory of last chance help, try anything at the last stages of their cancers and they most likely had to sign a death waver of some kind. The imply the cancers were reduced but they did not say by how much and if the patients lived longer with the treatment than without.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree