Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

1. 27 Apr '17 14:28
    In many ways cells communicate the way human communicate with each other. Define the following forms of human communication by classifying them as pararine, endocrine and/or synaptic signaling:

A telephone conversation

Talking to people at a cocktail party

a radio announcement

talking to oneself
  2. 27 Apr '17 16:24
    Originally posted by wormer
    In many ways cells communicate the way human communicate with each other. Define the following forms of human communication by classifying them as pararine, endocrine and/or synaptic signaling:

A telephone conversation

a radio announcement

talking to oneself
    Are these exam questions?
  3. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    27 Apr '17 20:51
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    Are these exam questions?
    These are obviously homework questions...I must say wildgrass you are doing a great job at answering them. Too bad for this poster is learning absolutely nothing. Wormer: You could at least try to ask about the parts you are not understanding, as oposed to just outright asking the entire question as posed. I mean come'on...
  4. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    28 Apr '17 09:34

A telephone conversation

a radio announcement

talking to oneself
    a cell produces a signal to induce changes in nearby cells
    paracrine factors diffuse over a relatively short distance (local action)
    endocrine factors (hormones which travel considerably longer distances via the circulatory system)
    a synapse[1] is a structure that permits a neuron (or nerve cell) to pass an electrical or chemical signal to another neuron

So! Self-talk, people-talk, phone-talk, radio-speak. Synaptic, paracrine, endocrine, and then we need another babble word? I don't see how any of this is useful.
  5. 28 Apr '17 13:42
    Originally posted by apathist
    a cell produces a signal to induce changes in nearby cells
    paracrine factors diffuse over a relatively short distance (local action)
    endocrine factors (hormones which travel considerably longer distances via the circulatory system)
    a synapse[1] is a structure that permits a neuron (or nerve cell) to pass an electrical or chemical signal to another neuron ...[text shortened]... ine, endocrine, and then we need another babble word? I don't see how any of this is useful.
    thanks you for the explination. I forghot that autocrine was an option as well. It all makes sense now
  6. Standard member apathist
    looking for loot
    28 Apr '17 17:16
    ... autocrine was an option as well. ...
    denoting a mode of hormone action in which a hormone binds to receptors on and affects the function of the same cell that produced it.

Yes, all is clear now.