1. silicon valley
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 16:45
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20101026/us_time/08599202752300

Is Putting a Cell Phone in Your Pocket a Health Risk?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 06:22
    My guess is the cell phone manufacturers simply don't want to take any chances in case some wacko decides to file a lawsuit.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 06:25
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20101026/us_time/08599202752300

Is Putting a Cell Phone in Your Pocket a Health Risk?
    I know that I get headaches if I use a cell phone too much. I can also sense microwave ovens and try to stay in another room when they are on.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 02:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I know that I get headaches if I use a cell phone too much. I can also sense microwave ovens and try to stay in another room when they are on.
    There are newer antenna's that have a different RF projection pattern, the older antennae would have the power concentrated very close to the antenna and therefore if you had you cell by your ear, your brain would get the max dose. The newer cells have an antenna that spreads the rf power over a larger volume and therefore have less energy near your head when talking.

As for in your pocket, I think the biggest problem was holding it to your ear for long periods of time, tending to microwave your brain. That said, the power is still very low, less than 100 milliwatts, which in a light would be something like one candlepower, maybe less.

The problem with even that low power is rf is absorbed second by second so a 0.1 watt signal by your brain for one second would be 1/10th watt seconds of absorbtion but that same signal yapping for an hour would be 3600 seconds at 1/10th of a watt so it would be 360 watt seconds of power absorbed, in other words, the same dose delivered as if you had a 360 watt transmitter next to your brain for one second or 36 watts next to you for 10 seconds.

Get it? Power is absorbed accumulatively. That's why I use the speaker, I don't have to have the antenna next to my brain to talk. So if you hold it up to your ear, just don't talk forever. A minute like that would do no damage, it's a heating effect not screwing up your DNA but an hour, that's another story.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 05:26
    I don't want to fry my brain, so I use a earplug.
    I don't want to fry my balls, so I don't put it in my front pocket.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 05:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    There are newer antenna's that have a different RF projection pattern, the older antennae would have the power concentrated very close to the antenna and therefore if you had you cell by your ear, your brain would get the max dose. The newer cells have an antenna that spreads the rf power over a larger volume and therefore have less energy near your head when talking.
    It was a lot worse with my first cell phone back in the 90's. It was so bad I had to get a hands free set which helped a lot. I thought I had just got used to it, but maybe it is the new antenna design. But then I don't actually use my cell phone much at all. (less than one call a day on average).
  7. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 12:331 edit
    There are newer antenna's that have a different RF projection pattern, the older antennae would have the power concentrated very close to the antenna and therefore if you had you cell by your ear, your brain would get the max dose. The newer cells have an antenna that spreads the rf power over a larger volume and therefore have less energy near your head wh damage, it's a heating effect not screwing up your DNA but an hour, that's another story.
    That was helpful information. Thanks.

I don't think most would need to be in another room with microwave ovens operating though. But tw could be more sensitive to them, I have heady sensations after a while being near to halogen lamps. Do they emit some form of rf?

The strength/distance of any rf from a microwave is quite minimal from my reading. But if one was to hold ones head or body close to the microwave for a while, (strange to envisage) I guess by the same process there could be accumulation.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 14:37
    Originally posted by Taoman
    That was helpful information. Thanks.

I don't think most would need to be in another room with microwave ovens operating though. But tw could be more sensitive to them, I have heady sensations after a while being near to halogen lamps. Do they emit some form of rf?

The strength/distance of any rf from a microwave is quite minimal from my reading. But i ...[text shortened]... ave for a while, (strange to envisage) I guess by the same process there could be accumulation.
    The microwave radiation emitted from a microwave also hits you if you simply walk outside, because cosmic radiation contains a fair bit of it. The metal casing of a microwave does block most of the microwaves that are generated, though a small portion can "leak" through the metal grating in the window. I don't know how the intensities of both sources compare, though.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 16:03
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [.
    I don't want to fry my balls, so I don't put it in my front pocket.[/b]
    Don't knock it till you try it!! 😠
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 19:261 edit
    It was a lot worse with my first cell phone back in the 90's. It was so bad I had to get a hands free set which helped a lot. I thought I had just got used to it, but maybe it is the new antenna design. But then I don't actually use my cell phone much at all. (less than one call a day on average).
    What did you feel with those early phones? We in the amateur radio community have been using 'handi-talki's' for over 40 years and there is data suggesting long term use causes problems. The power levels of ham walki-talki's is 10 to 20 times as high as cell phones and there were hundreds of thousands made, still being made, with power levels as high as 6 watts, the frequencies lower than microwaves but some of them in the same range as cell phones, 800-900 mhz and some at 1200 mhz, close to microwave frequencies.

There are various versions from 30 megahertz to 1200 mhz and most around 5 watts out. We have them in duplex mode like cell phones, in fact the basic cell phone technology was inventer by amateur radio guys, we were doing cell phone like activity 40 and more years ago. Hand held tranceiver sending its 5 watt signal to a tower located within 15 miles or so, then the tower sends out a stronger signal on a close frequency so two handi-talki's can communicate directly over a much longer distance, and some towers linked across the country so one guy with a handi-talki could in New York state could talk to someone with the same kind of equipment in San Diego and even further, some linked with international towers running on 14 mhz, a world wide band, then connect back to another tower in another country and translating that signal back to the handi talki frequency, 146 mz, for example (the 2 meter ham band) or 220 or 440 mhz, whatever you use. This has been going on for decades.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 14:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The microwave radiation emitted from a microwave also hits you if you simply walk outside, because cosmic radiation contains a fair bit of it. The metal casing of a microwave does block most of the microwaves that are generated, though a small portion can "leak" through the metal grating in the window. I don't know how the intensities of both sources compare, though.
    I have a little thingie that shows with a little red LED when my phone has some activity going on, like recieving an text, someone's calling, even if your sound on your cell is off. It's totally passive, it just measure the microwave level around it, I suppose.

If I put htis outside a microwave, it turns red. Outside open a clear sky, it doesn't.

Nowadays, I stand back a few steps when my micro is frying my food, so it doesn't fry my balls.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 06:31
    What did you feel with those early phones?
    I used to get headaches after using the phone a lot. I also find my ear feels hot and hurts.
    I actually don't use my cell phone a lot these days so I don't know if it is still a problem. I certainly don't notice it.
    With microwaves, I can feel something but it is hard to describe. I don't like the feeling. I am also fairly sure I can sense WIFI though I that is harder to be certain. It might be psychological. I'll try and do some tests some time with someone plugging a WIFI stick in and out and see if I can tell without looking.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 13:28
    I used to get headaches after using the phone a lot. I also find my ear feels hot and hurts.
    I actually don't use my cell phone a lot these days so I don't know if it is still a problem. I certainly don't notice it.
    With microwaves, I can feel something but it is hard to describe. I don't like the feeling. I am also fairly sure I can sense WIFI though I ...[text shortened]... e time with someone plugging a WIFI stick in and out and see if I can tell without looking.
    Before you do that experiment, remember you have to hit the 'safely remove hardware' icon and wait till it says it is safe to unhook the Wifi, presumably hooked up to a USB port. You can unplug it without doing that but you take a chance on frying the Wifi thumb drive. I have unplugged wireless adapters with no trouble before but I think you take a chance on zapping the thing if you don't do the safely remove thing.
    I would be curious if you felt anything. The range of those guys are only a matter of feet, 100 feet maybe, way short of cell phone range so the power is probably an order of magnitude less than a cell phone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree