Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Science Forum

Science Forum

  1. 13 Jul '16 17:51 / 7 edits
    https://techxplore.com/news/2016-07-hybrid-car-motor-heavy-rare.html

    It speaks of the application for cars.
    I assume this new way of reducing the cost of heat resistant neodymium magnets would probably be beneficial for several other major applications and is generally very good news.
    But the magnets still use neodymium which is a bit pricey.
    Now, if only they can make magnets out of just the common cheap chemical elements and avoid relatively expensive elements like neodymium and do that without sacrificing the excellent magnetic field strength of neodymium magnets...
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Jul '16 17:57
    Originally posted by humy
    https://techxplore.com/news/2016-07-hybrid-car-motor-heavy-rare.html

    It speaks of the application for cars.
    I assume this new way of reducing the cost of heat resistant neodymium magnets would probably be beneficial for several other major applications and is generally very good news.
    It says page not found error. Could not link.
  3. 13 Jul '16 17:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It says page not found error. Could not link.
    the link still works for me!
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    15 Jul '16 17:55
    Originally posted by humy
    the link still works for me!
    It also worked on my workplace comp. Not at home for some reason. I'll try again when I get home from work.

    Do you know of any work that suggests an upper limit to the power of permenant magnets? Is the rare earth ones the best we can do?
  5. 16 Jul '16 06:18 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    ...

    Do you know of any work that suggests an upper limit to the power of permenant magnets?
    afraid not and I also don't know of any really powerful magnets that don't use rare earth although I hope research will come up with one. I really hope eventually someone will come up with a way of making strong compact magnets that uses only cheap common chemical elements as that would lead to huge improvements in electric motors, generators and DC/AC converters and indirectly make going all-renewable easier.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Jul '16 17:31
    Originally posted by humy
    afraid not and I also don't know of any really powerful magnets that don't use rare earth although I hope research will come up with one. I really hope eventually someone will come up with a way of making strong compact magnets that uses only cheap common chemical elements as that would lead to huge improvements in electric motors, generators and DC/AC converters and indirectly make going all-renewable easier.
    Yep that would be a great development.