1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 May '23 12:53
    At least that is reported here:

https://spacenews.com/china-sets-sights-on-crewed-lunar-landing-before-2030/

They would be the second natio to do so, and it shows how confident they are in developing the technology.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 May '23 13:272 edits
    @Ponderable

Yes, but do they really plan to bring their moon-nauts back home? I'd doublecheck the blueprints & the fuel level before getting on board the rocket.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '23 19:03
    @moonbus
    That would have been more like Soviet times. I don't think they want to waste astronauts, it costs a lot of money and years of training to get one up to speed.
    I saw how it worked, having been an Apollo tech, Apollo tracking and timing was my tiny bit.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 May '23 03:43
    @sonhouse said
    @moonbus
    That would have been more like Soviet times. I don't think they want to waste astronauts, it costs a lot of money and years of training to get one up to speed.
    I saw how it worked, having been an Apollo tech, Apollo tracking and timing was my tiny bit.
    Training might have been really important back in the 1960's but we have Teslas driving themselves.

With all the computing power and remote capabilities we have now, I'm sure they will control the entire thing from mission control. They could send up someone chosen in a lottery of volunteers.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '23 09:32
    @ponderable said
    At least that is reported here:

https://spacenews.com/china-sets-sights-on-crewed-lunar-landing-before-2030/

They would be the second natio to do so, and it shows how confident they are in developing the technology.
    There is water in them there craters.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    01 Jun '23 20:03
    because China already knows there are aliens on the moon !!

https://www.livescience.com/alien-hut-spotted-moon
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Jul '23 12:51
    @moonbus said
    @Ponderable

Yes, but do they really plan to bring their moon-nauts back home? I'd doublecheck the blueprints & the fuel level before getting on board the rocket.
    As I would do anyway.

Chinese space capabilities seem to be quite good as far as we know from the last few missions.

And yes there is a new race for the moon. (I misseed the first race due to my age).
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Jul '23 12:51
    @metal-brain said
    That has been suspected already in the early 70's, but as of now the evidence is much better.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 17:26
    @sonhouse said
    @moonbus
    That would have been more like Soviet times. I don't think they want to waste astronauts,
    You do realise which country we're talking about, don't you? Wasting human resources is their standard procedure. After all, the CCP has enough of them.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '23 05:371 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @moonbus
    I do smile when I see comments like this juxtaposed to comments like your one in the other thread where you asserted that the backside of the moon is in total darkness.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/science/the-galaxy-should-have-been-fully-colonized-many-billions-of-years-ago.197115/page-2
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '23 05:131 edit
    @wildgrass
    The point is successful exploration and finding new things and AI is all well and good but what that does is make it safer to get to the moon and back. It is not that AI is independently interested in science, that is human and will remain for a long time.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '23 05:17
    @divegeester
    Bejesus, get over it, the back side is never in darkness and I may have said something like that but the backside of the moon IS in total EARTHLIGHT darkness or do you deny Earth radiates as well as the sun but of course much less than the sun.
    Besides, even if I really thought the backside of the moon is always in darkness what has that got to do with the fact I DID do Apollo tracking and timing?
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Aug '23 08:09
    @metal-brain said
    And we might have soon more information on that thanks to the Indian rover Pragyan.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '23 11:03
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Bejesus, get over it, the back side is never in darkness and I may have said something like that but the backside of the moon IS in total EARTHLIGHT darkness or do you deny Earth radiates as well as the sun but of course much less than the sun.
    No, you DID say EXACTLY that.

It’s not my fault if you are to prideful to acknowledge it.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Aug '23 11:05
    @sonhouse said
    @divegeester
    Besides, even if I really thought the backside of the moon is always in darkness what has that got to do with the fact I DID do Apollo tracking and timing?
    Well you DID say EXACTLY that Sonhouse, and it’s more amusing because you have worked at NASA.

Pretty obvious humour I would have thought.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree