1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12730
    27 Jun '13 05:371 edit
    YouTube

    The Instructor
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12730
    27 Jun '13 05:45
    Ancient Voyages to America - Who Were The First Explorers?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=CwG6CcJiw6Q&NR=1

    The Instructor
  3. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    27 Jun '13 06:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Chinese First To Discovered America
    Actually, no, the native Americans were truly the first, but normally when we talk of 'discovery' we are referring to European discovery. So when someone says David Livingstone discovered the 'Victoria falls' what we mean is he was the first European.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    27 Jun '13 10:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually, no, the native Americans were truly the first, but normally when we talk of 'discovery' we are referring to European discovery. So when someone says David Livingstone discovered the 'Victoria falls' what we mean is he was the first European.
    Of course the native Americans WERE asian, coming across a land bridge some 20,000 years ago into Alaska and south, all the way to Tiera Del Fuego so in that sense RJ is right. The artifacts discovered recently were just a has been raceπŸ™‚
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    27 Jun '13 13:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Of course the native Americans WERE asian,
    And the Asians were really Africans, as were we all.
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    2106
    29 Jun '13 00:421 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaGrA2wIP8Y

    The Instructor
    off topic if you looked at the octopus thread, which moved onto snakes πŸ™‚ the 100 flower snake - China , looks just like a corn snake - N America,

    Also there is an ancient Chinese legend of a giant river snake, they made human sacrifices to until a wise man told them it was stupid (read that on wiki) And there is a giant caiman / crocodile / man eating river snake - Green Anaconda up to 30ft now, probably 40ft+ when it had more space and crocs - S America.

    I will watch your vid sorry πŸ™‚
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    2106
    29 Jun '13 07:085 edits
    Boring but wiki says an anaconda reaches 15ft, not so, a yellow (dwarf) anaconda reaches 12ft. The books I had said 25 - 30 ft in the wild which means you could get 35ft+ specimens, you get the odd snake in all breeds that grows very big.

    The Phonecians probably found quite a few continents, maybe the Chinese too. I read that Vikings made it to America at some point.
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    29 Jun '13 07:392 edits
    Originally posted by e4chris
    The Phonecians probably found quit a few continents,.....
    There are only 7 continents. The Phoenicians lived on one (Africa) and were immediate neighbours to two others (Asia and Europe), so one could hardly claim they 'discovered' them.
    So that leaves North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia.
    So when you say 'quite a few' which ones are you suggesting?

    Edit: I got that wrong. They were in Asia, and Africa was an immediate neighbour.
  9. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    2106
    29 Jun '13 07:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are only 7 continents. The Phoenicians lived on one (Africa) and were immediate neighbours to two others (Asia and Europe), so one could hardly claim they 'discovered' them.
    So that leaves North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia.
    So when you say 'quite a few' which ones are you suggesting?

    Edit: I got that wrong. They were in Asia, and Africa was an immediate neighbour.
    I don't know, but they had boats and they travelled around selling things
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    invigorated
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    02 Jul '13 00:06
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I don't know, but they had boats and they travelled around selling things
    Thank you Professor.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    2106
    02 Jul '13 00:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Thank you Professor.
    the boats were partly made of wood if that helps
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78630
    02 Jul '13 02:151 edit
    There is some evidence that the first people in the Americas were Australasian, and got there about 30,000 years ago. According to a documentary I saw about a decade ago they found a skeleton in South America which seemed to be more characteristic of Australasians than Asians.
  13. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    02 Jul '13 13:21
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There is some evidence that the first people in the Americas were Australasian, and got there about 30,000 years ago. According to a documentary I saw about a decade ago they found a skeleton in South America which seemed to be more characteristic of Australasians than Asians.
    Weren't the Australians all sent from Liverpool, originally???

    -m. πŸ˜€
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13439
    02 Jul '13 16:16
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    There is some evidence that the first people in the Americas were Australasian, and got there about 30,000 years ago. According to a documentary I saw about a decade ago they found a skeleton in South America which seemed to be more characteristic of Australasians than Asians.
    Don't you mean pacific islanders?
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    316861
    03 Jul '13 06:081 edit
    All the native populations in this part of the world - Asia, Pacific Ocean islands, Australia and NZ - were part of the mass eastern migrations out of Africa, so we share much genetic material, even if we don't look alike.
Back to Top