1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '18 19:40
    @sonhouse said
    It clearly shows CO2 levels higher than they have been in 500,000 years. You should have picked a more biased opinion piece to try to prove your POV.
    Your reading comprehension sucks.

That has nothing to do with ice core samples. You need to understand what we are talking about before you recklessly digress into a different subject without reason.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 15:55
    @metal-brain said
    Your reading comprehension sucks.

That has nothing to do with ice core samples. You need to understand what we are talking about before you recklessly digress into a different subject without reason.
    I hope you are alive to witness the ice caps melting and the seas rising. I for sure won't but if you are young enough, good luck. Sell your Florida properties.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 17:17
    @sonhouse said
    I hope you are alive to witness the ice caps melting and the seas rising. I for sure won't but if you are young enough, good luck. Sell your Florida properties.
    I live in Michigan, but there is no risk to FL anytime soon.
    Let me know when the Johnson Atoll is underwater. Until then there is nothing to worry about.

https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2010/04/isolated-and-abandoned-military-airbase-johnston-atoll/
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 21:111 edit
    @metal-brain said
    I live in Michigan, but there is no risk to FL anytime soon.
    Let me know when the Johnson Atoll is underwater. Until then there is nothing to worry about.

https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2010/04/isolated-and-abandoned-military-airbase-johnston-atoll/
    Sure for now. The thing is, forewarned is forearmed and we are close to the tipping point where nothing we do will stop the ocean rising many feet.

Remember, it would only take a ten foot rise to cover most of Florida and I suppose because you figure you are safe in Michigan, so what if Florida gets covered with water, not going to effect ME.

The world is full of people who just say, no big deal, these cycles come and go and it will be all better in another 20 years just like it has for the past 10,000.

Thing is, we have, as a civilization of humans, lived the past 10,000 years in a nice benign climate bubble but before that, there were monster climate swings and it is only bits like the ocean currents calming things down climate wise. The currents are now down by 30% in strength as we speak and getting weaker which means we may be entering an era of climate instability just like 12,000 years ago and beyond. A rude awakening for humanity when that happens.
    There was a case of a Mammoth find where it was found to contain in it's belly undigested flowers which meant it had to have been in a climate of room temperature, 20 degrees C or so. But a huge freeze happened so fast the beast got fast frozen, so fast the flowers it was eating did not have a chance to be digested but fast frozen instead, meaning the temperature had to have gone from +20C or so to minus 100 in a matter of minutes, that is how extreme temperature swings were 20,000 odd years ago.

That is our new destiny if the ocean currents dry up and no longer bring in heat from the tropics.

But no big deal for you, safe in your Michigan cave.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 22:06
    @sonhouse said
    Sure for now. The thing is, forewarned is forearmed and we are close to the tipping point where nothing we do will stop the ocean rising many feet.

Remember, it would only take a ten foot rise to cover most of Florida and I suppose because you figure you are safe in Michigan, so what if Florida gets covered with water, not going to effect ME.

The world is full of peop ...[text shortened]... d no longer bring in heat from the tropics.

If you expect a ten feet rise in sea level within my lifetime and even my kids and grand kids lifetime you are insane.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Nov '18 16:39
    @metal-brain said
    If you expect a ten feet rise in sea level within my lifetime and even my kids and grand kids lifetime you are insane.
    Even a few feet will devastate.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '18 22:18
    @sonhouse said
    Even a few feet will devastate.
    How long will that take? Be honest.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 19:20
    @metal-brain said
    How long will that take? Be honest.
    You mean if it 'only' takes 100 years, we are ok with that?
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 02:36
    @sonhouse said
    You mean if it 'only' takes 100 years, we are ok with that?
    It would take much longer than that.
  10. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    17 Nov '18 18:36
    @sonhouse said
    It seems to me eliminating fossil fuel use would run into extreme political action against that process, as good an idea as it seems. The other problem is how to replace all that fossil fuel use, massive investment in solar? Wind? Wave? My guess is the worse offenders will have the most political push against that. I don't see trillion dollar programs to do that and from w ...[text shortened]... since that city would have to live on battery or other energy storage technology, whatever that is.
    WRONG. https://solarreserve.com/en/technology/molten-salt-energy-storage
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '18 17:13
    @wolfgang59 said
    Allan Savory
    [youtube]vpTHi7O66pI[/youtube]

The talk is about halting desertification through managed livestock grazing and enabling the soil to lock-up carbon from atmosphere.

Controversial but surely deserves some more work?
    Many models show that minor changes in land use, which would maintain agricultural productivity but alter some common practices to favor GHG soil storage over release, would significantly extend our current climate window.

I'm surprised that many are dismissing this as futile.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '18 18:45
    @sonhouse said
    It clearly shows CO2 levels higher than they have been in 500,000 years. You should have picked a more biased opinion piece to try to prove your POV.
    What does that have to do with anything? CO2 is not the bogeyman. It is a plant nutrient that is making plants grow faster. Our increasing CO2 in the atmosphere is one of the best things to happen to the planet. It was CO2 starved.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 15:525 edits
    @metal-brain said
    What does that have to do with anything? CO2 is not the bogeyman. It is a plant nutrient that is making plants grow faster. Our increasing CO2 in the atmosphere is one of the best things to happen to the planet. It was CO2 starved.
    Who is paying you to say this crap? You have to be under someone's thumb. Either that or you are so naive as to be beyond help. You totally ignore the work of thousands of scientists instead believing the crap of a few of your buddies.
    The problem still is CO2 PLUS methane and that can ONLY get worse.
    Even if we are both dead and gone, the problem remains oceans WILL rise and quicker than we thought.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/more-extreme-weather-events-caused-human-driven-climate-change?tgt=nr

Here is another report you can scoff at.

And this:

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-humans-reversing-climate-clock-million.html

And more bad news about the Arctic ice:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/12/11/arctic-is-even-worse-shape-than-you-realize/?utm_term=.6f41f8fbd988

I guess this doesn't bother you in the slightest. Arctic ice gone in summer and that leads to more CO2 and Methane released, raising temperatures even higher maybe to the point there is no more Arctic ice, summer OR winder and that will spell big problems around the planet, but hey, no big deal, business as usual, right?
    Clear waters in the Arctic will also lead to military issues where Russia wants to drill for oil on Canadian and American oceans and that will lead to military conflict. THAT ok with you? A good thing you say, our military budget will have to go up you say and that is a good thing?

Things looking bad in Antarctica also:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46517396
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Dec '18 20:261 edit
    @sonhouse said

The world is full of peop ...[text shortened]... d no longer bring in heat from the tropics.

That stuff about the mammoth sounds wrong. They can analyse the last meals of bog bodies, which implies that digestion ceases pretty quickly after death. I think the mammoth died and was frozen shortly afterwards. Given the existence of snowdrops and other such flowers I think a short term temperature fluctuation of 5 degrees would have led to the initial preservation. The drop to minus 100, if that happened at all would have taken much longer.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '18 20:41
    @sonhouse

You have no evidence to confirm your assertion. You are just repeating a popular theory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree