1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '15 16:41
    Originally posted by humy
    Totally irrelevant: Whatever was wrong with it, good science demands that we should correct it. Exactly as he said: "To not adjust the data at that point is to fail in doing science". You make no point.
    Whatever was wrong with it is irrelevant? That is not good science. Any moron can see that.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '15 16:43
    Originally posted by C Hess
    I don't have to. It's in the article:

Scientists have long known that ships log slightly warmer ocean temperatures than do buoys operating in the same location. The influx of data from an expansion of buoys during the past two decades has reduced the apparent rate of ocean warming.
    Now you have to prove the difference is always consistent everywhere. Can you prove that?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jun '15 17:43
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Now you have to prove the difference is always consistent everywhere. Can you prove that?
    And why would that be? Do you expect the middle of the Sahara to be the same as the middle of Kansas? Do you expect the temperature of the ocean currents to be the same as water near the center of the ocean? If you have temperature sensors by the thousand around the world, I would expect there to be an average in all that data. Then you can compare the readings to next years data and the year after that and so forth.

Do you have a problem with that?
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    08 Jun '15 20:072 edits
    Whatever was wrong with it is irrelevant? .
    you are being obtuse as usual. Can't you read? I just said:

"..Whatever was wrong with it, good science demands that we should correct it. Exactly as he said: "To not adjust the data at that point is to fail in doing science". .."

So it is Irrelevant to the fact that it needs correcting; NOT irrelevant to how you should correct it. And I never implied the contrary.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 09:40
    You want details? Go read the full paper. I'm sure you'll find all the details you need there.

http://m.sciencemag.org/content/early/2015/06/05/science.aaa5632
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 12:46
    Originally posted by humy
    you are being obtuse as usual. Can't you read? I just said:

"..Whatever was wrong with it, good science demands that we should correct it. Exactly as he said: "To not adjust the data at that point is to fail in doing science". .."

So it is Irrelevant to the fact that it needs correcting; NOT irrelevant to how you should correct it. And I never implied the contrary.
    First you must establish there really was something wrong with it.
    You have not done that.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 12:49
    You want details? Go read the full paper. I'm sure you'll find all the details you need there.

http://m.sciencemag.org/content/early/2015/06/05/science.aaa5632
    Can't you provide the complete details without a link that demands login? I don't like jumping through hoops when it is not necessary.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 17:061 edit
    First you must establish there really was something wrong with it.
    Why?
    You can just read the link for that.
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jun '15 19:56
    Can't you provide the complete details without a link that demands login? I don't like jumping through hoops when it is not necessary.
    Dude, there's a button that says: "Full text". I didn't have to login, or anything.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 04:34
    Dude, there's a button that says: "Full text". I didn't have to login, or anything.
    Dude, I tried that. I got nothing.
  11. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 05:10
    Dude, I tried that. I got nothing.
    http://tinyurl.com/ooqbg6j
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '15 16:58
    http://tinyurl.com/ooqbg6j
    It says they took a combined average data of one collection method and applied it to a different method of collection. This is not good science. When data collection increases and different methods change they should apply to those time periods alone. Applying them the way they did is not only inaccurate it looks like a crude method of manipulating the data to fit a preferred end result. It is highly suspect.

Thanks for the new link. It may be you have your browser set to automatically login with password to the first link you provided. That is my best guess as to why it worked for you and not me.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 07:551 edit
    It says they took a combined average data of one collection method and applied it to a different method of collection.
    Where does it say that? 😕
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 20:27
    Where does it say that? 😕
    Try reading your own link. I did. Are you too lazy to do the same?
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 21:36
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/jun/08/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-noaa-global-warming-faux-pause-paper

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree