1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    22 May '14 21:093 edits
    http://phys.org/news/2014-05-forty-six-transistors-cnts-complicated-device.html
    “..."In our earlier work, we showed that a carbon nanotube based field-effect transistor is about five (n-type FET) to ten (p-type FET) times faster than its silicon counterparts, but uses much less energy, about a few percent of that of similar sized silicon transistors,"
    ...”

I don't think it would be many years before, one way or another, we will see huge improvements in energy efficiency, speed and miniaturization of microchips. This would probably partly come about by the increasing use of carbon nanotubes and/or graphene but, although this particular link has nothing to say about spintronics, I am certain that another of the main ways this would happen is by a spintronic revolution probably with carbon nanotubes and/or graphene incorporated into the spintronic circuits although one of the credible alternative possibilities is of topological insulators being used instead of carbon nanotubes and/or graphene. We will just have to wait and see what pans out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree