1. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    14 May '09 15:46
    Is it conceivable that a planet could develop life based on cooperation, symbiosis, etc. rather than competition?

What would such an ecosystem look like?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    14 May '09 18:42
    Well, there are elements of cooperation in current lifeforms, as well. But for "pure" cooperation, you would need a different way of reproduction, in which any lifeform (or the genes thereof) cannot possibly benefit from the death (or less successful reproduction, etc.) of other lifeforms.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 May '09 07:001 edit
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Is it conceivable that a planet could develop life based on cooperation, symbiosis, etc. rather than competition?

We have symbiosis in our biosphere. This I call a form of cooperation.
    Even in our bodies bacteria thrives and help us digest our food. If we kill them off we are in problems. We live in 'perfect' cooperation with them.

Pigs need us for a 'good and lazy' lives. We need them to ensure our need for meat. Is this a symbiosis? Without us, there would be far less pigs on our world, so they surely benefit from us. And we benefit from them in order to give us nutricients.

What about larger sructures?
    Plants produce oxygen that animals need for their survival. Animals produce CO2 that plants need for their survival. Ar plants and animals in symbiosis, and thus in cooperation? Yes, in a broader perspective.

Individual cooperate. Some species cooperate. The whole biology are dependant of eachother.

This posting is only food for thoughts...
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    15 May '09 17:47
    Originally posted by Scriabin

Just ask mr. Nash

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree